Different Scope Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohhyourgod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: This is strictly based on hearsay from other physicians and residents.

My question is which state(s), from your experience and educated/informed guess, have the best scope of practice? I have heard several times over from many physicians that New York is the state with one of the most limited scopes and now I'm curious to hear some opinions on the best scope. I have read the other threads concerning the subject but I would like to heard some more responses. It can include anything from prescribing to surgery to diabetes management. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer: This is strictly based on hearsay from other physicians and residents.

My question is which state(s), from your experience and educated/informed guess, have the best scope of practice? I have heard several times over from many physicians that New York is the state with one of the most limited scopes and now I'm curious to hear some opinions on the best scope. I have read the other threads concerning the subject but I would like to heard some more responses. It can include anything from prescribing to surgery to diabetes management. Thanks! :)

http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/dnn/portals/17/documents/clerkship/Scope-of-Practice-study.pdf

This may help you out somewhat. I think it is a bit dated as some states changed their scopes of practice (ie Connecticut and Mass now include the ankle in their scope).

I have heard from my pod that Georgia and Florida have some of the best scopes of practice. In recent years, it was brought to the Florida state assembly/senate to reduce the scope of practice but it failed.

Some things to realize that no state is alike. Arizona has a nice scope of practice for treatment (can do surgery of bone/tendon/msucle below the knee) but does not allow ANY amputations. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. It is a waste of time and $ for patients and doctors alike, as pods need to refer out to treat a patient who needs an amputation (even of a toe). Just something to think about