Different types of PGY-1, are they really different?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superflyDO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have decided to stop after my internship and get my D.O. degree but I am a little confused about licensing. I know 1 year of internship is required in California. But I realize there are several types of programs you can enter after 4th year. Traditional Rotating, Transitional Year, Internship, etc. Does anybody know which ones qualify for the 1 year required for licensure? (I'm not asking if it's a good idea or if I might as well do a residency. I have good reason why I will stop as a GP). Thanks a lot :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

superflyDO said:
I have decided to stop after my internship and get my D.O. degree but I am a little confused about licensing. I know 1 year of internship is required in California. But I realize there are several types of programs you can enter after 4th year. Traditional Rotating, Transitional Year, Internship, etc. Does anybody know which ones qualify for the 1 year required for licensure? (I'm not asking if it's a good idea or if I might as well do a residency. I have good reason why I will stop as a GP). Thanks a lot :thumbup:

1 year of GRADUATE MEDICAL EDUCATION is required to get your license; there is no stipulation what kind of year you are required to do.

(BTW, its a bad idea unless you have no plans on ever practicing medicine. Or at least being paid for your services. The world is getting stricter with regards to training and if you aren't BE/BC you are out of luck in getting hired by any reputable hospital, center, etc. because insurance companies will not reimburse you for your services. But then...you didn't ask did you? ;) )