differential equations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stupibname

king of finite spaces
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question concerning the type of calculator I would need for differential equations and engineering in general... currently I have a TI-83.. is this good enough or would i need to get a newer model. Advise from people currently in engineering would be helpful...thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i took diff eq with a TI-83 and i did very well. if you're already familiar with the TI-83, i'd suggest you stay with it. the TI-89 takes some learning to use and is more useful in classes like vector calc.

Members don't see this ad :)
stupibname said:
I have a question concerning the type of calculator I would need for differential equations and engineering in general... currently I have a TI-83.. is this good enough or would i need to get a newer model. Advise from people currently in engineering would be helpful...thanks

I (and most of my friends) used a TI-83 for diff eq.

We weren't allowed to use calculators in any of my calculus classes.

However, if you are an engineering major I would higly recommend the TI-89. It is incredibly user friendly and does everything you could possibly want. It is FANTASTIC to have around for those tests involving 4+ multiple linear equations with umpteen unknowns. When everyone else is rewriting them for x then putting x in and solving for y, or practicing their matrix solving skills....blah blah blah....you are done. The other thing, and this is silly, is that it does unit conversions. Now, this isn't particularly hard, it's just that you don't have to hunt down the conversion chart(s) when you get some weird problem with furlongs/dynes/lb-ft or something. Last fall in my thermo class we had a TON of problems that really just involved integration and then the correct simplification to be solved. With TI89 it's just a matter of punching in the equation you have and it'll integrate and simplify for you. it really is an awesome calculator. The data manipulations and statistics functions are also great. If you are planning to take a numerical methods class it will be quite useful for in-class exams that be possible without MATLAB or some similar software. Of course, you still need to learn the basics sans 89 so you wouldn't be completely reliant on it.

One thing, though, if you don't take advantage of the functions available on the TI83 you aren't likely to do so on the TI89. So many people don't know what their calculators can do, regardless of model. Make sure you really look through the TI83 manual and see if you have the features you want already, but just aren't using them.

I use my TI89 nearly every day in grad school. Towards the end of undergrad I found that the TI89 did things that others had to use MATLAB or MAPLE for.

thanks for the input... I don't think I will be taking any math higher than diff equations and linear algebra so if a TI-83 will get me by I guess there is no need to dish out the 150$ for a 89...right?

I'd go for the upgrade to a TI-89, or even a TI-89 Titanium. They have more memory and a faster processor, which is no big deal for 2+2 but if you run any time intensive calculations it makes a big difference. Also, even if you only use it for basic stuff, it's worth the upgrade over the 83 just for the pretty print and multi-line cut and paste abilities, as well as the ability to edit mistakes more easily. The interface is really just incredibly more user friendly than the 83. Plus you can download a shell and play stuff like mario bros. on it :-D

Also, to hijack a little bit...

Hey Shades, I'm (hopefully) going to be in UAB C/O 2010, do you mind if I PM you some questions about housing and the like??

TI-89 man. It'll take some work to get used to it. However when you learn how to use it'll be your best friend. I count it as one of my most prized possessions. :love:

I took calc in hs and college...people used the 83 for the ap calc test but the 89 is way way easier to use and more powerful imo (it even differentiates with variables only). Like it spits out d/dx (3x^2) = 6 x and then you can plug in for x. I'm not 100% sure about this but on the 83, you have to plug in for x (it wont give u 6x). My engineering friend "borrowed" my 89 for all of college once I finished up calc...the 89 is a great calculator.

Heck, if you're allowed to use ANYTHING try the Voyage 200. It's SWEEEEEEET... like a mini computer. It even has a keyboard. We were only allowed to use the 83, but I didn't use anything at all. I frickin' HATE :smuggrin: :smuggrin: the 83. Piece of crap... could just be I got so used to the 89 that I couldn't step down to the 83.

On the whole, tho, don't worry so much about a calculator for dif eq. The class is really quite simple.

the ti89 pwns all =D but seriously an 86 is enough

byeh2004 said:
the ti89 pwns all =D but seriously an 86 is enough
TI89.jpg

yeah this thing was my lifeblood in late high school and early college. 89 it up man, you can find one cheap on ebay, retail is a thing of the past!

All my calc profs say before every test a calculator is allowed up to TI-83plus edition any one that does calc isnt, so maybe check with the prof of your diff eq class and see if its ok then id go and dish out the 150 for the TI-89. Good luck.

I got through 2 semesters just fine with the TI-81 I got my freshman year of high school....not that a calculator should even matter in the class....I guess we did use MATLAB and Mathematica though