Seeking MCAT Advice: Worth memorizing constants and equations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seldon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How often are equations and constants given to you on the MCAT? Obviously you need to be able to use them, so there are several that you should have virtually, if not actually memorized (kinematics, Michaelis–Menten, etc.), but what about things like plank's constant and the energy of photon emission? How far in depth should I go?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Not too in depth; constants are usually given to you.

I'm a strict minimalist with MCAT equations, much less constants. I don't think I had to use a single kinematics equation. The new MCAT emphasizes more critical thinking and fewer strenuous calculations. So the calculations you have to do will likely be straight forward but require you to identify what the correct numbers are first. I can't recall actually consciously sitting down and memorizing equations. I mean, I knew the basis equations like Henderson-Hasselbalch, F=ma, E=hf, etc. just from using them so much. But I never memorized the obscure equations that you use only in specific contexts and are not broadly applicable. Like I said, more critical thinking, less complex number crunching.

I memorized some common equations and constants (e.g. PV=nRT, F=ma, mole number)