Difficult Airway Management/CEs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AzMichelle

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine is a doc in Mexico (Nogales). He is looking for a class in Difficult Airway Management. The only class he found was $5K and most young docs in Mexico just can't afford US fees for these classes.

Any suggestions? Sources to find such classes/CEs? I am not having a lot of luck finding anything good and reasonably priced.

Thx.

Members don't see this ad.

Very good course.
Run by Dr. Richard Levitan who is one of the foremost experts on airway management. He focuses on first pass attempt rather than rescue technique, but I belive the course includes a variety of topics. Also includes cadaveric practice.

http://www.airwaycam.com/course.asp

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
The Univ of Iowa has an annual course, usually in October called the Airway Workshop. Includes handling difficult airways, fiberoptics, and all manners of airway devices. Much cheaper than 5 grand, on the order of $300.

Very good course. I highly recommend it.

PTG

Ohhh, thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. I knew I'd find my answer here.

Thx again!
Michelle

Very good course.
Run by Dr. Richard Levitan who is one of the foremost experts on airway management. He focuses on first pass attempt rather than rescue technique, but I belive the course includes a variety of topics. Also includes cadaveric practice.

http://www.airwaycam.com/course.asp

Levitan's course was the best money I've ever spent!

- H

From looking at the web site, it appears that Levitan's course is focused around using his FPS fiberoptic scope/system. Is there any benefit to taking this course if you know that your department is not going to foot the bill for one of these things? IE, does he cover other airway management techniques and equipment?

Thanks,
Greg

From looking at the web site, it appears that Levitan's course is focused around using his FPS fiberoptic scope/system. Is there any benefit to taking this course if you know that your department is not going to foot the bill for one of these things? IE, does he cover other airway management techniques and equipment?

Thanks,
Greg

Actually, he doesn't push it at all. His whole systems is actually designed to give the students the same view as he instructor (which is pretty cool)! But as far as intubating, he teaches his tool is interchangeable with a gum bougie, and both are only taught as "back-ups". He really focuses on good old fashioned airway skills.

- H

It's not shown on this page, but there is a one day airway management course that accompanies USC's annual conference, and friends who have gone say that it's very well done. I believe the cost runs in the $700 - $800 range. E-mail them for a flier.

http://prod2.ccme.org/essentials/

Thanks, everyone. I sent him a link to this thread and hopefully he'll join in on the conversation. Not sure he is aware this forum exists.

Thanks again!
Michelle