Difficult Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureopt17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year I was asked "what can an Optometrist do that an Ophthalmologist cant?" I froze when I was asked this question till my interviewer moved on to another question because he noticed that I could not answer this question.

I do not want to make this mistake again so can someone please answer this if they have the answer to it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well a very obvious difference is that an Optometrist can not perform surgeries.
ok, well im pretty sure we all know that.. but the question was what CAN an Optometrist do that an Ophthalmologist cant.

Optometrist = earned an OD, examine eye for vision/health problems, correct refractive errors, fit contact lenses, can provide vision therapy, etc. Can prescribe meds to treat certain eye problems/diseases. Not trained/licensed to perform eye surgery.

Ophthalmologist = earned an MD or DO and specialize in eye and vision care. Can also perform eye exams to treat diseases and can prescribe glasses/CL. The difference is they can perform eye surgery.

Usually, they ask about optician as well so just in case = optician is not an eye doctor, but is an important part of the eye care team. They use prescriptions written by eye docs to fit and sell eyewear.

I found all of this online.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The answer they are looking for is how an optometrist can create a stronger patient-doctor relationship than an ophthalmologist can because of the quality time they get with patients. If you have ever worked for an optometrist you would know this......

The answer they are looking for is how an optometrist can create a stronger patient-doctor relationship than an ophthalmologist can because of the quality time they get with patients. If you have ever worked for an optometrist you would know this......

Disagree with this arrogant response.

To OP, there is nothing an optometrist can do that an ophthalmologist cannot also perform within their scope of practice.

Disagree with this arrogant response.

To OP, there is nothing an optometrist can do that an ophthalmologist cannot also perform within their scope of practice.

It comes down to patient care, ophthalmologists see 40-50 patients a day they don't get as much time with each individual patient its just how it is wasn't being arrogant? Also have been asked this question at all 4 interviews and all faculty members agreed.

Does anyone sincerely feel like they have a deep meaningful relationship with their optometrist? Or ophthalmologist for that matter? I mean you see them once a year or two to get your script updated. It’s a useful service and a job worth doing, I’m not denigrating it, I’m just not as sure how significant is who’s doing the refraction bit, optometrist or ophtho tech.

Does anyone sincerely feel like they have a deep meaningful relationship with their optometrist? Or ophthalmologist for that matter? I mean you see them once a year or two to get your script updated. It’s a useful service and a job worth doing, I’m not denigrating it, I’m just not as sure how significant is who’s doing the refraction bit, optometrist or ophtho tech.

I think it depends on the clinic and optometrist I know patients that follow their optometrists as if she is the only optometrist in the city and refuse to be seen by anyone else, namely seniors, and parents of children with complex issues. Those group of people like things to be explained thoroughly and in-depth and optometrists generally have more time to do that (at least in canada).

Fair enough, my major optometry experiences have been in LensCrafters or similar and I’m not sure I ever saw the same one twice, but surely experiences vary. And if that’s what optometrists pride themselves on then you’d better mention it in the interview.

Fair enough, my major optometry experiences have been in LensCrafters or similar and I’m not sure I ever saw the same one twice, but surely experiences vary. And if that’s what optometrists pride themselves on then you’d better mention it in the interview.

Yeah makes sense places I've worked or shadowed at have been independent practices so its much different than the big retailers.

Like Optgal said, I think you could also talk about the different specialties/training in each as well their approaches to patient care. For example for me, I went to ophthalmologists since I was a baby for my crossing and then wondering eyes and had two operations performed that were unsuccessful. I went to many ophthalmologists for help and was told that nothing could be done since so much of my eye muscle had already been removed and I should consider pursuing jobs that do not require much use of my eyes. It wasn't until I read Fixing My Gaze and saw at optometrist at 29 who specialized in vision therapy that I was able to retrain my brain and get my vision under control. I can now drive, read without text-to-speech software, and saw 3D for the first time a couple of years ago.

Reactions: 1 users