Difficult or Challenging Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gmianosi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm having quite a hard time writing the notorious biggest obstacle I've faced secondary. I was born in Eastern Europe and have moved quite a few times in my life, and while these moves were not easy, I don't think I can write a good essay about it, especially since I've talked about moving for the "what diversity do you bring" essays. Would it be okay if I talked about something more mundane, such as bettering myself in a certain sport or teaching myself how to surf? Or would the adcom expect me to have written about something more serious?

Members don't see this ad.

I really do think this is a personal question. I have read on multiple sites that you are not restricted to just your cultural background. You can write about anything that you think makes you different or diversifies you. I naturally went with my cultural background because I thought that stood out more :)
So, I guess it's up to you. As long as it answers the question and you explain it well
Good luck!

[edit: Totally just realized i misread your question.Sorry about that]

It must have been pretty difficult moving from place to place, what about language barrier

Last edited:
So, I'm having quite a hard time writing the notorious biggest obstacle I've faced secondary. I was born in Eastern Europe and have moved quite a few times in my life, and while these moves were not easy, I don't think I can write a good essay about it, especially since I've talked about moving for the "what diversity do you bring" essays. Would it be okay if I talked about something more mundane, such as bettering myself in a certain sport or teaching myself how to surf? Or would the adcom expect me to have written about something more serious?
Are they asking you to write about your biggest obstacle or to write about a time you overcame an obstacle and describe how you did it?

For what it's worth, and with all of the migrant-related issues currently in the news, it seems your own migratory story could be quite compelling, notwithstanding the fact you've developed a complementary essay for Diversity. I might be wrong, but in the context of your life story, focusing on sports and/or surfing seems somewhat trite, and could create an unwanted impression of a less-than-serious/consequential persona.