difficult personality during rotation? :0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acro Yali

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how do people deal with difficult personalities during rotations? Do you given basck-stabers/jack@$$es the taste of their own medicine? Or do you blew them off and just concentrate on doing your best and let the residents/attendings know that you are doing a good job? Please share your horror stories or not-so-bad stories. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I usually try to ignore them and just do my own thing. I have met some students that prefer to try to make the back-stabber look bad.

There was one situation in my OB-GYN rotation when one of our group of four students kept on trying to kiss the resident's asses and did nothing to help out the other students. I hated it, but just figured I would not say anything. One of the other students hated this guy with a passion because of his antics. It got pretty tense between the two of them. Once, in front of the OB/GYN clinic residents room, they began arguing about who takes a certain case. Soon, their voices were loud enough to be heard throughout the clinic and both attendings and residents noticed. I ended up playing the role of the mediator and trying to smooth things over.

The student who was mad at the jack*** told one of the other students on our rotation about it. This other student ended up telling one of the residents about what this student was doing (i.e. not carrying his weight, but trying to look good). The resident had thought he was a great student and was shocked. I ended up picking up my grades at the same time as this guy and he got a pretty bad evaluation. So sometimes it doesn't pay to be an ass kisser / back-stabber.

Hi:

House-staff/Attendings weren't born yesterday. Back-stabbers, prima donnas etc. are not fooling anyone and if you lower yourself to their level you will look bad too. Take the high road - trust me: "what goes around comes around" .

M-

Now that you mention it, it occured to me that all of the attendings/resident went through exactly the same things. I personally prefer to tak the high road unless someone is so obnoxious that I can't stand them anymore. But, I am still interested to hear what stories people have...you know...sort of like the clinical vignettes for the rotations if you would like to share.