Difficulty getting references.

Huggies

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2007
CA
  1. Dentist
So I'm getting ready to apply to pedo this year, and am having a hell of a time getting good references. Everybody's on vacation...and two programs that I'm applying to have their deadlines in 2wks. I know, I should have asked earlier, but I thought 1mo would be more than enough time, and most other programs have their deadlines in Sept/Oct.

I've been out of school for 5yrs, and the instructors that I really liked are away the whole summer or retired. One dentist I worked with would be great, but I'm afraid that if someone calls him, he will talk about his gun collection or his latest adventures w/ his new girlfriend. He's a great dentist, but so unprofessional. The guys I work w/ now, I don't want to ask, b/c I don't want them to know that I'm applying. Our clinic sees lots of kids, and I worry that they would see me as a huge competition, eventhough we desperately need another pediatric dentist.

There is only one pediatric dentist in my city, I worked w/ him on many occasions, and learned a lot, but he's a bit grouchy, and I'm not sure he would give me a good reference. I never felt like I connected w/ him on any level. Should I ask?

The person in charge of our pediatric department is no longer there, and I'm not sure he would even remember me as our pediatric rotations are very short.

What should I do??? This is so frustrating:confused::confused:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.