Difficulty landing job, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmkj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the long post but just need some good sound advice....
I graduated in May and have passed the law and NAPLEX. I used to intern at CVS during the school year and my district manager told me they would give me an official offer in March. But once March came around they said that they could only give me a part time contract because the spots were very limited in Rhode Island. He told me after I pass my exam in July to contact him again because sometimes some new graduates back out of their contracts last minute (but no one backed out).

I want to go into retail but all the other company in RI are all full when I called around. But thank god I did score transfer for Connecticut. So having much bad luck in trying to find a position in RI, I recently took the Conn law and passed.

I know there are a few available positions in Connecticut but Im having a hard time getting call back for interviews from other companies like Walgreens, Target, Rite Aid. Like Walgreens and Target told me they wanted someone who worked for the company and with more retail experience. I dont know why im having such a hard time getting a retail position and why these companies are very selective. I mean I worked in retail as an intern for 4 years for CVS.

I didnt really want to go back to CVS to work as a pharmacist, but I guess I shouldnt be picky right now with the slow economy. I tried contacting the CVS recruiter but my emails and voice messages never got returned for a while. I was lucky to get a of the person just recently, but he was a little aloof and said there wasnt anything and acted like this call was a waste of time and said he was stepping out the door and to try back later to check the status on getting call backs from supervisors (of the different districts I guess).

I know its the holiday season and people are busy and preoccupied, but should I just wait after New Years to contact the companies again to see if there are positions available? At this point CVS seems to be the best option where I have a foot in the door because of my past experience with the company, but should I just call a random store and ask for a district manager contact info to ask for availability position in the area, or should I just call the recruiter again?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly, CT is pretty saturated too. Most of the people I graduated with in 2010 signed on with the companies they worked with during school, but hours were limited and they are mostly still floating. I don't know if you'll have any more luck in CT than RI.

In this down economy, you need to be aggressive - call, send email, send thank you note. Do whatever it takes. Rejection is just part of the process. Do not wait for the right offer. Take whatever you can. The longer you wait, the harder it is to land a position. You always have the option of switching if a better offer comes along. Remember, you are competing not only against your fellow graduates but also against pharmacists with a few years of experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
In this down economy, you need to be aggressive - call, send email, send thank you note. Do whatever it takes. Rejection is just part of the process. Do not wait for the right offer. Take whatever you can. The longer you wait, the harder it is to land a position. You always have the option of switching if a better offer comes along. Remember, you are competing not only against your fellow graduates but also against pharmacists with a few years of experience.

should I just wait till after the holiday season to ask around or should i just call around next week and try to contact the district managers?

should I just wait till after the holiday season to ask around or should i just call around next week and try to contact the district managers?

I would call now before the holiday season. My cousin in CT just landed a full-time decent job 2 weeks ago, but wasn't able to get it until working part-time/floater for $39/hr for almost over a year (he graduated '09).

The job market is tough; really anything you can do to get ANY job at any (reasonable) pay is a good idea. Once you start working, keep your eye open and hopefully soon, you'll be in a better position to look for a full-time job. Rejection is only to first step to success.

don't wait; call now. Often the budget for next year is determined in Dec. so the sooner you call, the better.

I would call now before the holiday season. My cousin in CT just landed a full-time decent job 2 weeks ago, but wasn't able to get it until working part-time/floater for $39/hr for almost over a year (he graduated '09).

The job market is tough; really anything you can do to get ANY job at any (reasonable) pay is a good idea. Once you start working, keep your eye open and hopefully soon, you'll be in a better position to look for a full-time job. Rejection is only to first step to success.

Is that after taxes??? You're referring to a pharmacist right?