Difficulty of Medical training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah my guess is the author of the article was a real piece of work on the wards.

Looking back on Med school, a surgical internship, and most of a surgical sub residency I can honestly say I’ve never encountered anything remotely resembling this article.

Med school was work but a lot of fun, good classmates, solid professors. Loved 3rd year because it was actually getting on the wards rather than just studying. Felt included and eventually helpful on most teams after learning the ropes. 4th year was a breeze.

Intern year was fun and humbling but easily doable. Ditto all the years of residency so far. I’ve had occasional crap days but no more than I did prior to medicine.

I’m in my Chief year now and loving it. Feel like I know what I’m doing but still learning and trying to get as much from my attendings as I can before I’m done. I have every weekend free except for 4 this whole year. I’ve never violated work hours and this is based off a mobile tracking app I use for that purpose.

I’m sure some people have a hard time. I’m not sure how much of that is the system and how much the individual’s reaction to it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah my guess is the author of the article was a real piece of work on the wards.

Looking back on Med school, a surgical internship, and most of a surgical sub residency I can honestly say I’ve never encountered anything remotely resembling this article.

Med school was work but a lot of fun, good classmates, solid professors. Loved 3rd year because it was actually getting on the wards rather than just studying. Felt included and eventually helpful on most teams after learning the ropes. 4th year was a breeze.

Intern year was fun and humbling but easily doable. Ditto all the years of residency so far. I’ve had occasional crap days but no more than I did prior to medicine.

I’m in my Chief year now and loving it. Feel like I know what I’m doing but still learning and trying to get as much from my attendings as I can before I’m done. I have every weekend free except for 4 this whole year. I’ve never violated work hours and this is based off a mobile tracking app I use for that purpose.

I’m sure some people have a hard time. I’m not sure how much of that is the system and how much the individual’s reaction to it.

Thank you for this. After reading the article I was feeling a lot of anxiety, wondering if I was heading down a path of misery. But I feel like, as with anything, it's probably what you make of it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for this. After reading the article I was feeling a lot of anxiety, wondering if I was heading down a path of misery. But I feel like, as with anything, it's probably what you make of it.

It reminds me of the book “The House of God”

I really struggle with this because I see soooooooo many people write about how awfully inhumane medical training is yet here I’ve been through 8-9 years of it and haven’t ever encountered it. And this in a surgical field! There should be some semblance of it even if the best surgical programs, right?

Enough respectable people have said such things so I believe it must be happening somewhat, but I have a hard time really buying in since my personal experience has been so opposite.

Reactions: 1 user