EMS jobs & training in Work/Activities

Started by Medicdan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Medicdan

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I went to paramedic school 10 + years ago and have since held jobs at several different agencies while collecting a plethora of cards/certs, some related to healthcare and others not. Would you guys use one entry for all the jobs combined + one for the initial training + one for all the cards/certs?

Only being given 15 for EVERYTHING I don't want to use too many on any one job or certification, but I also wanna highlight all the cool stuff medics do. (assuming most adcoms don't know or care all that much about the differences between paramedics and EMT's)


Thanks and good luck to all!
 
Hi! I’m a 13-year medic starting med school this August. I think I used one for my primary EMS job (18 years at the same company, including leadership and teaching), one for my initial volunteer EMT gig, one for my critical care certification course (because it involved hospital time, physician contact, and activities that adcoms might actually know something about), and one for my paramedic lead instructor job.

Fifteen spots is not a lot if you’re an older nontrad. You really have to narrow stuff down. I left off several EMS jobs entirely. A few secondary applications asked about certifications; that’s the only place I really talked about my stuff like CPR instructor, ACLS EP, PALS, DAMS, etc. I think what your certs are in is probably less important to adcoms than the fact that you put in the work to get and maintain them, so I would guess that taking up more than 0-1 activities spots for certs would be counterproductive.

Though, if you’re applying DO as well, you get more than 15 activities on AACOMAS.

Good luck!
 
That’s the only place I really talked about my stuff like CPR instructor, ACLS EP, PALS, DAMS, etc.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I think I am leaning towards leaving the per-diem gigs off totally and just entering the lengthy full-time ones. So you didn't put ACLS, PALS, teaching BLS, etc. on your primary at all?? Seems like relevant stuff no?