Difficulty of transferring to another med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ViergeEnnuyeuse

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, someone clear this up for me. My friend is going to be a MS1 at the med school in Miami, however, she told me that she does not want to spend her whole "medical school career" there. Supposedly, she wants to transfer to a med school in TX (she's a TX resident). She's acting like it's as simple as transferring between undergrad universities. I always thought that it's nearly impossible to transfer to another med school. I was reading some policies of TX med schools and only under extreme conditions can one transfer and they need permission of the dean. It seems like you're pretty much stuck at the school. Am I right? I think she's being silly.

Members don't see this ad.

i've heard the same...apparently for the vast vast majority of schools you can only do it after your second year (so you must finish your basic sciences at your initial school), and even then it requires a fortuitous set of circumstances, including but not limited to dire personal circumstances, dire complications with initial med school/location, excellent record at initial school, knowing someone important, and one or two drops or decelerations into the med school to which you want to transfer. seems pretty damn tough to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
She should marry a texas resident. That might help her chances.

RaaMD said:
She should marry a texas resident. That might help her chances.

i've heard of this working too. If it is about family issues, it usually helps a lot

In any case, it's not a walk in the park like it can be for undergrad

Why settle for a Texas resident when you can get a Texas med student? I know somebody at a bottom tier med school who married a guy at a top 5. Transferred in 3rd year and is now at the best hospital for her specialty of choice. Smooth.

modelslashactor said:
Why settle for a Texas resident when you can get a Texas med student? I know somebody at a bottom tier med school who married a guy at a top 5. Transferred in 3rd year and is now at the best hospital for her specialty of choice. Smooth.

Nice.

ViergeEnnuyeuse said:
Okay, someone clear this up for me. My friend is going to be a MS1 at the med school in Miami, however, she told me that she does not want to spend her whole "medical school career" there. Supposedly, she wants to transfer to a med school in TX (she's a TX resident). She's acting like it's as simple as transferring between undergrad universities. I always thought that it's nearly impossible to transfer to another med school. I was reading some policies of TX med schools and only under extreme conditions can one transfer and they need permission of the dean. It seems like you're pretty much stuck at the school. Am I right? I think she's being silly.

almost unheard of... it is difficult to transfer due to very different programs at different schools

modelslashactor said:

:idea: