Is transferring worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazycloudcomp

Reaction score
I want to transfer from a 4 year uni to another 4 year and apply traditionally (end of 3rd year of undergrad). However, I am worried about extracurriculars, as having leadership and other positions for my first 2 years then quitting and starting new ECs at another school might make me less competitive. However, I will still have a good amount of hours in each category of ECs. Is it worth to transfer schools, and if so, do most people take gap years?

Members don't see this ad.

The one thing I'd be wary about is your ability to get a committee letter and/or individual letters from faculty. Does the new school have a committee letter? What is the timeline for applying for a committee letter (some require an interview after a bunch of letters are submitted on your behalf). Would you be taking courses that would give you adequate engagement with faculty to ask for letters in the winter/spring of your junior year? Would you be asking for letters from faculty at the old school?

Don't set your heart on applying as a rising senior if you won't be a successful applicant. Better to do it when you are ready and only do it once than rush into it only to be a re-applicant a year or two later.

Reactions: 4 users