digitally recorded lectures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tamml

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wonder if your school has digitally recorded lectures (video or audio contents with powerpoint)? Do they post the lectures on class website for free or you have to pay for a service to record them for you?

I heard, not entirely sure, that USC pharmacy school offers the service for students. Do you think it worths?

Members don't see this ad.

Starting with our P2 year, all of our pharmacotherapy lectures (8 hours a week) are videotaped and posted on a secure website for us to watch. This is great because you can go back and watch a lecture if the prof went too fast or didn't give you their powerpoint slides. Lately, though, a lot of students have been using them as an excuse to skip class (I'm guilty sometimes ;)) and the administration is getting ticked off.

Some of our other classes are taped as well - ISU has a pretty large non-trad PharmD program with students all over the world. They like to update the other lectures every 3 years or so.

Overall, I think that the service that ISU provides is awesome - I feel like my tuition is getting its full utility.

some people record lectures but I don't know anyone who has time to go back and listen to them...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, USC does, I've only listened to them once to review a lecture I slept through the first time. Currently they only have the equipment setup in the room mainly used by P1 and P2. The other lecture room doesn't have the equipment. It's uncertain whether they'll be installing it in the other room or not.

I'm not a pharmacy student yet, but my university has started recording some select classes. They do podcasts and put it up on iTunes. Anyone can listen to them and there are many universities who are using it.

They do it at UIC, but the UIC lawyer has issues with it. So, we have to get waivers from every student and faculty member for every class separately. They can't do a blanket waiver.

Hi everyone,

I wonder if your school has digitally recorded lectures (video or audio contents with powerpoint)? Do they post the lectures on class website for free or you have to pay for a service to record them for you?

I heard, not entirely sure, that USC pharmacy school offers the service for students. Do you think it worths?

Our class president does it for us , it is available on Blackboard... sometimes it helps. But then again, some professors just read verbatim what is on their notes, in those cases listening to lectures is really a waste of time.

UF does as this is the format for the distance satellite campuses. Our notes are posted online and our videos are up a few hours after it's recorded. They're available 24/7 so it's convenient for us night owls. I loved the fact that I could go out and run errands or keep appointments and know I could make up the lectures later. Many of the gainesville students actually chose not to go to live lectures and opted to watch them at home. I like the idea of online lectures and it seems that it's a growing trend.

Hi everyone,

Mercer audio tapes essentially all of the required classes for P1-P3, and they are available for free to download. I have pretty much only used it when I had to miss class for some reason, but I have some other friends who routinely use this to go back over points in lecture that they missed.

My school is talking about doing it when we move to the new campus next semester. I already record pharmacotherapy lectures. I listen to them at least once to fill out my notes. My grades have improved dramatically this semester since I began that practice. It really helps me.

I hope my school follows through with the plan, so I don't have to take up the disk space on my laptop with lecture recordings.