Quick question about Live CE vs. recorded/on demand webinars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slippers

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to get some live CEs done .... it is my understanding that the recorded/on demand webinars DO NOT COUNT as live hours... is this correct?
For example, if you go to freeCE.com you can click on "live CE event calendar" there is a whole calendar of events for January 2019 with 2-3 live CE events per day, mostly scheduled at 10:30AM, 2PM and 8PM.
There is a separate section for "home study CE" that has home study/recorded webcasts.

Also, on Power-Pak.com, there is a section for "on demand webinars," but since these are recorded, these do not count as live CE either, is that correct?

I am mostly asking out of laziness because I would love to pump out my CEs and get them over with as soon as possible and I would prefer to do the live CEs one after the other and get a bunch of hours done in one day rather than have to sit and wait for a new one to come on the schedule.

The webinars on PowerPak are anytime/anywhere and also free.... do they count for live CE or just non-live?

After doing all that darned work in pharmacy school it's not like this is really a huge deal, I'm just being lazy and cheap.

Members don't see this ad.

I need to get some live CEs done .... it is my understanding that the recorded/on demand webinars DO NOT COUNT as live hours... is this correct?

Correct. In order to be a live CE, there has to be a question and answer session at the end of the program. A recorded webinar where you can't ask questions is therefore not live. (However, the webinar may have been streamed live when it was created or it was done at a conference; in that case, it was live for the original attendees.)

Look at the Universal Activity Number (UAN). It's a six-part code. The fifth part says whether it's Live (marked with L) or Homestudy (marked with H). This is what the board of pharmacy will look at when they audit your credits.

The webinars on PowerPak are anytime/anywhere and also free.... do they count for live CE or just non-live?

They are homestudy (or "non-live" as you call it). If it's available on demand, anytime, then it's homestudy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! Does freeCE.com have the most availability on time-slots for live CE? Unless there is another CE website with more live CE times per day I think I will go with them!