digoxin iv push and hydralazine IM

Started by rxjc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rxjc

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
can you give digoxin as iv push? or is it better to be ivpb

also can you give hydralazine IM? i read somewhere there's a black box warning for it. It may lead to skin necrosis, what are your thoughts?
 
I've always seen digoxin as IVP (it's going to be 1ml or less) but have never seen hydralazine IM. Are you sure it isn't hydroxyzine, which is always given IM?
 
can you give digoxin as iv push? or is it better to be ivpb

also can you give hydralazine IM? i read somewhere there's a black box warning for it. It may lead to skin necrosis, what are your thoughts?

I have never seen digoxin given as an IVPB, always as IVP. I really can't imagine a situation where an IVPB would be needed.

I've never seen hydralazine given IM, always IV....I've been out of hospital a few years, but I don't remember there being a black box warning about it, this might be something relatively new. I also can't imagine a situation that would warrant giving it IM. If a patient were that critically ill, and IV access wasn't possible, then a chest line would be put in.

Hydroxyzine should never be given IV, always IM, because of the potential for hemolysis.