Dilation vs no Dilation Ophthalmoscope

Started by Lnghrn
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lnghrn

Lifelong Student
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone, I have been doing product research on ophthalmoscopes for retinal exams and specifically for patients at risk for diabetes. I came across the Welch Allyn Panoptic (Click here) which claims that 85% of the time, dilation is not necessary for the exam. Is this a true claim based on your experience in practice? Are there any significant drawbacks to not dilating?

Thank you for your input!
 
I have Optos (widefield scanning ophthalmoscope) in my clinics and as fantastic as the view is,I’ll be the first person to tell you that stereoscopic optic disc through a dilated pupil is the only true way to evaluate a disc.

Panoptic is good on kids that you don’t want to dilate but is a poor substitute for dilated funduscopy with indirect lenses....,,so No,it’s not accurate to state that ANY dilation is not necessary even with Optos much less the Panoptic
 
Last edited: