SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

dilema here, please help

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by supernareg, May 13, 2007.

1. supernareg

supernareg Guest

Oct 25, 2006
    okay... my overall GPA is 2.8, my BCMP is 3.3ish and my upward trend is superb... as in 2.4 --> 3.7. although, i havent taken Organic yet.

i was scoring low 20's on the practice MCAT from AAMC... and now i'm wondering...

if i get low / mid 20's on my MCAT IF i take it in lets say... june, would i have a chance?

my current plan is: finish 1 more year of school (boost my GPA), study for MCAT more and take it a year from now, shoot for an allo school then D.O.

but i HATE the idea of wasting time, and since D.O. = M.D. (with regards to pay / position i want to do (Emergency medicine), would it be smart for me to NOT waste that year and just apply and see what happens?

All help IS appreciated.

Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. spicedmanna

spicedmanna Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Everybody has some chance when they apply. However, with a significantly below average overall GPA and a lower MCAT, you are really limiting your options and chances here, in my opinion. I wouldn't take the MCAT until you are hitting much higher on average on the practice exams. Don't be hasty in pulling the trigger just to create a less than ideal situation for yourself. You won't be doing yourself any favors if you do that.

Definitely boost your UGPA. Take one or two years to trend straight A's in advanced undergraduate science classes, fulltime. This will definitely work toward your favor. Apply to both MD and DO schools right from the start. Honestly, with your overall UGPA being sub-3.0, you don't stand that great of a chance with allopathic schools; it's possible, but not probable. Try applying to some of the lower tier allopathic medical schools, all of your state schools, and schools located in less desireable geographic locations, in addition to the osteopathic medical schools, to broaden your chances. Rock the MCAT as hard as you can, when you feel ready and well-prepared to take it.

Apply when you are strongest. Medical school isn't a sprint to the finish line, it's a downright marathon. Take your time. It's not a waste if you are working toward your goal. It is, however, a waste of both time, money and effort if you apply prematurely and don't get in anywhere, in my opinion.

4. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned Banned 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2000
    You told everyone you were going Carribean. :confused:

5. supernareg

supernareg Guest

Oct 25, 2006
    some advice u gave. ^^

6. gotmeds?

gotmeds? 5+ Year Member

Oct 9, 2006
    I don't think you're being realistic about your options. Here's how I see them:

Choice one: apply now -- waste time AND money (because you'll have to reapply next year anyway).

Choice two: apply later -- waste time but less money.

Personally, I'd pick choice two. Unless you have rich parents.

7. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Banned Banned

Oct 1, 2006
    OP, why ask for advice if you're headed to the Caribe?

No habla espanol?