2+ Year Member
- Apr 15, 2015
I would definitely take the AAMC FL scored before making a decision. I am currently in a similar dilemma with similar TPR, NS, and AAMC scores. I took my AAMC unscored yesterday and scored ~70% total. I am shooting for 508-510.Hello everyone,
As with countless number of other pre-meds, I've been studying for MCAT over the past 2.5 months to apply for 2018 MD app cycle, but my practice test scores haven't been that stellar recently. Thus, I wanted to get some feedback regarding my options from the experts.
Long story short, my test date is September 9th (in 10 days) and my practice scores had been almost linearly improving from 491 -> 508 (scores listed below), but I received 502 and 504 (NS 4 and 2, respectively) on the most recent tests.
At this point, I am thinking I do not have time to increase my score to my goal of 512-514, so I'm seriously considering taking it on January 2017 instead. I do have exactly 4 weeks of winter break, but I'm afraid I will forget good chunks of test skills/content over the next few months, when I definitely won't have time to review during. (1) Thus, is 4 weeks of extra study time worth risking forgetting content over the next several months and using up more of my time? I'm doubting myself with only 10 days left and with a score that is close yet so far away from my goal.
(2) In addition, since it's already in "Bronze Zone" for the September date, should I take the real test and void or simply cancel the test?
(3) Lastly, at this point, should I try out AAMC Scored FL or save it for winter studying? I'm thinking if I get ≥510, I will take the Sept test, but I'm just not sure what is wise.
As a pre-med who is a bit freaking out 1.5 week away from the test, I would appreciate any word of wisdom and experience!
Details, if you would like to know more:
1. TPR Core 1: 491
2. TPR Core 2: 494
3. TPR Core 3: 495
4. TPR Core 4: 502, 125/125/124/126
5. TPR Core 5: 500, 125/125/124/126
6. AAMC Sample: 72% average, 71%/81%/59%/78%; "converted" = 505
7. NS FL 1: 508, 127/126/126/129 (very happy until this point)
8. NS FL 4: 502, 126/124/125/127
9. (today) - NS FL 2: 504, 126/126/126/126 (hey, at least an even score)
- Planning to take AAMC Scored and/or NS 4 over next 10 days
Rising 4th year, GPA: 3.74; somewhat above average EC; CA resident; aiming for low and/or mid-tier MD schools.
I feel the same way. I know that feeling.Funny enough, I just took AAMC Scored exam and I got 502, 127/123/128/124. Did best on C/P and B/B, my worst sections on AAMC Sample test. CARS and P/S felt much more difficult on the scored.
According to the "superscore" of the two AAMC tests (81% percentile on CARS and 78% on P/S on Sample test), I can pull off a 510, which I would be happy with on the real test. However, with only one week left for the exam, I think I'm going to postpone it to January 2017
Do you guys think it's worth grinding out the last week and taking the real exam? I'm just scared I'll have to re-do all the content review and practice exams in a month in a few months, feeling like I wasted the entire summer...