jvss123

10+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi guys,

So I have been rejected from basically all of the schools this cycle (still waiting to hear back from U of Detroit Mercy). I realize i dont have much of a shot there either so i started my preparation for the upcoming cycle and am in great need of advice.

Following are my stats:
Overall gpa: 3.35
science gpa: 3.1

DAT 1st attempt: did horrible, fluked it with minimal studying
TS 16
AA 17
PAT 19

Bio 16
Chem 17
Reading 16
Carving 23

DAT 2nd attempt: only studied from kaplan
TS 19
AA 19
PAT 20

Bio 20
Chem 20
Reading 18
Carving 22

DAT 3rd attempt: used many more resources this time
TS 21
AA 20
PAT 21

Bio 23
Chem 19
Reading 17
Carving 30

I have used up all my chances to write the DAT. Overall im satisfied with my scores except for reading. I totally panicked during that section...

I do realize that my gpa is on the lower end. So I have two options:
1) go back to the university i graduated from and simply take upper level science courses--> this would save me a lot of money
2) I got accepted to Barry university Masters in biomedical sciences (1 year track)--> This would give me a clean slate and a chance to prove the dental schools that I am capable of handling a heavy course load.

I have contacted the dental schools and got mixed responses. Some prefer the masters route, while others do not really care. So I have come to you guys for honest advice on which route would be better for me and what my chances are for the upcoming cycle. Please do not sugar coat anything. I really appreciate all the feedback. Thanks :D

Simiam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2007
Philly
Status
Dental Student
I say do the 1 yr masters while applying this coming cycle. Apply early though.

Jun 7, 2009
New York
Status
Pre-Dental
i agree with Simiam. There is a Statistic that Doc Toothache put up somewhere that said people who do masters increase their chances by 50%.

OP
J

jvss123

10+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
thanks for all your replies... i was also leaning towards the masters route!!

I am planning on applying to BU, NYU, USC, Temple, Louisville, VCU, Howard, Tufts, Maryland, NOVA, Detroit Mercy, Creighton, UoP and maybe Marquette & Pittsburgh

I know that nobody can say for certain (since no one here is admissions committee) but i still wanted to get some idea from my fellow SDNers- Do you guys think if I do well in the masters program (lets say roughly 3.6 or higher), I stand a good chance of getting an interview from any of the aforementioned schools?

Please be honest. I improved my DAT scores, i have a lot of volunteer hours under my belt and have good LORs. Now, I have enrolled into the masters program. I really dont know what more i can do. My parents are really stressed out with all the financial burden and I dont wanna let them down. If I dont get in this cycle even after the masters program, everyone will be totally crushed...

anywho, enough about my sappy story but guys please give me advice, feedback, criticism, or anything that I can still do to improve my application.

M

Mte123

thanks for all your replies... i was also leaning towards the masters route!!

I am planning on applying to BU, NYU, USC, Temple, Louisville, VCU, Howard, Tufts, Maryland, NOVA, Detroit Mercy, Creighton, UoP and maybe Marquette & Pittsburgh

I know that nobody can say for certain (since no one here is admissions committee) but i still wanted to get some idea from my fellow SDNers- Do you guys think if I do well in the masters program (lets say roughly 3.6 or higher), I stand a good chance of getting an interview from any of the aforementioned schools?

Please be honest. I improved my DAT scores, i have a lot of volunteer hours under my belt and have good LORs. Now, I have enrolled into the masters program. I really dont know what more i can do. My parents are really stressed out with all the financial burden and I dont wanna let them down. If I dont get in this cycle even after the masters program, everyone will be totally crushed...

anywho, enough about my sappy story but guys please give me advice, feedback, criticism, or anything that I can still do to improve my application.
Yeah, the masters should be good. Look for that statistic that said that people who do masters increase their chances by 50%. Also, those master's classes will factor into your GPA, specifically science. The DAT was pretty good third time around.

dennisDDS

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I think the problem is the Canadian DAT, if you wanted to go to the states why didn't you take the U.S. one?