Dilemma->double apply and couples match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dblakel

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that fourth year has started and I am having to consider residencies I am faced with a dilemma. I went to medical school with the intentions of becoming an FP, however, I am now very interested in anesthesiology as well. As of now, I would consider ranking two or three anes residencies first and then matching in FP if I wasn't accepted. I've read all the posts about how some people think this is frowned upon. I understand that completely but it is difficult to decide which is the best for me.

Of course I had to make it more difficult........ I am also couples matching with my gf who is also doing FP. The problem if we both do FP is finding a residency that will take both of us or two programs close together. Anes is much more competitive (from reading this forum) than FP and may make it difficult for either of us to match that way as well.

Think you have problems?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry much, unless you've done poorly in school. While its popularity is on the rise, Gas is still far from competitive. Several high profile programs didn't fill this year. While things may be a bit more complicated with the whole Gas/FP thing, you shouldn't have trouble couples matching with you in Gas and her in FP.