Fellowship and SF Match question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TheBoneDoctah

Full Member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On SF Match, there is an area under "publications" labeled "oral presentation." Is this area only for oral podium research presentations? For example, am I able to put lectures and presentations I have done for medical students/residents not related to research?
 
I know absolutely nothing about the SF match or it's application process.

But.

When talking about publications, the key ingredient is peer reviewed / limited selection. So I would not put random lectures you gave, unless there was a competitive selection process.
That is exactly my thought. A coresident is listing all their lectures given and it didnt seem like that was the area for that. thank you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nothing annoys me more than when I see someone list a random presentation to their team on their IM rotation or at morning report as an “oral presentation.” That is just part of being a trainee.

Ah yes - but when you prepare your “full academic CV” that goes on for like 15 pages, you’re apparently supposed to include even the time you lectured your grandma on the importance of getting the flu vaccine as well as every single other time you gave any sort of PowerPoint since college (an impromptu case presentation you gave to your IM team as a med student suddenly turns into a “departmental grand rounds presentation”, as you know).

So it doesn’t surprise me that people get confused. It’s also the reason I can’t stand academia in general - I just can’t wrap my head around an environment where everyone trades in bull****.
 
Ah yes - but when you prepare your “full academic CV” that goes on for like 15 pages, you’re apparently supposed to include even the time you lectured your grandma on the importance of getting the flu vaccine as well as every single other time you gave any sort of PowerPoint since college (an impromptu case presentation you gave to your IM team as a med student suddenly turns into a “departmental grand rounds presentation”, as you know).
I don’t put impromptu presentations on my CV 🙂
 
I assume you're asking me?

Not infrequently, I see students report that they were picked as the "chief student" for their clinical clerkship. Which usually means they need to deal with the schedule, or some such. It's really ridiculous.

This doesn't send them to the top of the rank list? My program even has a little office for them.