Dilemma - grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clothilde

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for insight -- I have received Honors in every clinical rotation EXCEPT obgyn, in which I got a pass! The ob/gyn department at my school is notoriously malignant and the residents evaluate us very harshly. My "constructive criticism" included things like "student was too enthusiastic" because I volunteered to write a note, etc. Basically if you get stuck with the bad residents, you are screwed (there are a couple of good ones).

My issue is I WANT to go into ob/gyn. Is there any hope for me? I am at a top 5 medical school and would like to match at a top academic program. Feeling discouraged.

Members don't see this ad.

Residency placement is not based on one rotation. Its' boards, LOR's etc. If you passed ob/gun I wouldn't stress too much about it. That field is incredibility notorious for being hateful for rotations and life in general. PD's know this.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, to tell you the truth, its not surprising. Ob/Gyn is a notoriously malignant rotation. I too thought of doing Ob/Gyn before the rotation, but after that experience, I decided against it. And it sounds like yours was no different. That comment about being "too enthusiastic" was complete BS in my opinion. There are many other worthwhile specialties besides Ob/Gyn. And besides, that field has the highest rate of malpractice suits of any specialty. Do you really want that headache? Take my advice and find some other specialty you enjoy.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you honored every other rotation except OBGYN I'd say your sitting pretty and should be able to go to some pretty good programs. Just kill the sub-i and get good recs.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking for insight -- I have received Honors in every clinical rotation EXCEPT obgyn, in which I got a pass! The ob/gyn department at my school is notoriously malignant and the residents evaluate us very harshly. My "constructive criticism" included things like "student was too enthusiastic" because I volunteered to write a note, etc. Basically if you get stuck with the bad residents, you are screwed (there are a couple of good ones).

My issue is I WANT to go into ob/gyn. Is there any hope for me? I am at a top 5 medical school and would like to match at a top academic program. Feeling discouraged.

I agree with cabinbuilder. OB/Gyn programs can be very malicious and a bit snotty about handing out Honors. I think you should just do your best and focus on having good grades, good LORs, good board scores. I know for OB/Gyn, at least for the admissions meetings I have sat on, a lot of emphasis can go on scores. Do your best and maybe find some other OB programs where you could do audition rotations. That way you can diversify your match list and just see a range of programs so you might be able to find one that you like.

Obviously it's not ideal that you missed the ' Honors' grade (that particular Honors), but you're not dead in the water here. Be real

Buck up and redeem yourself, you've got this OP

Reactions: 1 user