How important are clinical grades for residency?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by XxTargaryenxX, Jan 26, 2019.

?

How important are clinical rotations?

This poll will close on Feb 25, 2019 at 2:24 PM.
  1. Very important ( do well on them, failing not an option)

2. Important (definetly don't fail any, but no need to honor them)

3. more important than basic science grades, but failing one won't be the end.

4. Just as important as basic science grades (worthless)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. XxTargaryenxX

I am in another debate about the importance of clinical grades for residency (not basic science grades, just clinical, I already know basic science grades mean almost nothing). I think they are the most important after step 1,2, and LORs. Basically its a major hit if you fail a clinical rotation. Please answer poll below.

2. alprazoslam

Read PD survey

3. JW2020

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Failing a clinical rotation is definitely bad. In terms of grade, schools don't all use the same grading system and additionally weigh the shelf exam to a different percentage. This means you're often comparing apples to oranges when seeing a student got High Pass vs a student who got Honors Pass from a different school. You don't want to do the bare minimum and Pass every rotation (unless you're at a school that is only Honors or Pass), you absolutely should not fail a rotation, but apart from that I personally don't think there is valued difference.

4. OrthoTraumaMD

Physician Faculty Gold Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    When I applied, an honors in surgery was a must for the surgical subspecialties. We will definitely look twice if you “pass” (unless just a pass/fail school) or if god forbid, you fail.