Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

DILEMMA New York vs Cali

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by lc817, Nov 17, 2005.

1. lc817

lc817 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey All,
    I'm facing a delimma. I've been in NY all my life and I've been accepted to SUNY for early decision. However, now I'm reconsidering and thinking maybe i should take this opportunity to start my optometry studies elsewhere. Both on an academic and personal journey, i figure it might be good idea for me to step outside of my comfort zone and step into a new realm. So i was considering SCCO-nice weather, good school, NOT NY. So does anyone know if I'm allow to cancel the "early-decision"? and apply to SCCO?

Well guys, if you were in my shoes-what do you think or would do?
    So troubled :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. prettygreeneyes

Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    I am all for personal growth and taking on new challenges... believe me! I grew up in a tiny town in Nevada, and I am at a point now where I am looking for something different that will challenge the way I think and do things... even if only for a few years. But... there are others things to consider when choosing an optometry school. Will you get cheaper tuition by staying in-state? Or would at the very least your living expenses be less if you were able to stay with family, friends, or the like? I'm would hold off on cancelling your "early-decision" at SUNY. Apply to SCCO or whatever other schools interest you... go to the interviews and see what you think of the place. A new city on the opposite end of the country will definitely be new and exciting, but don't think that right now is the only opportunity you will have to change your surroundings. Take it one day at a time! I've heard of stories on this forum of students who were literally about to board the plane to one school, and suddenly decided that another place was where they were meant to be! I wish you the best of luck!

4. I agree, dont cancel your "early decision" till you know with out a doubt!!

On a personal note, I know exactly were your coming from! I was accepted into Houston, but I didnt want to stay in Texas. Make sure its worth the extra loans!!! That would be the only reason I think you should consiter staying. I'm attending UAB and will get instate tution after my first year. There are times when I've wished I would have stayed in Texas, but over all Its been great for me to get out on my own :) Hope that helps.

5. gaylord

gaylord Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Acceptance by a medical school of an applicant in the early decision program binds the applicant to enroll in that particular medical school. However, I'm not familiar with optometry shcool admissions practices. That was a big help, I know... "sarcasm" :eek:

I've been without sleep too long. Anyway, good luck with whatever you do!

6. Rusunn

Rusunn Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey I am just wondering, did you go to a SUNY or CUNY for undergraduate, lc817? if so what campus

7. lc817

lc817 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Neither-i went to a private university

8. sembaruthi

sembaruthi Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Hey first find out if the early decision binds you to attending that school, if not then apply to SCCO or wherever, and after u got in then cancel with SUNY, SUNY is maad competitive right now, and i dont think you should give up your seat, until you've secured one elsewhere.... good luck :)

9. lc817

lc817 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Wow i didnt know suny was filling up the seats so fast already!!! i know they have 70 spots available and i've read alot of people who recently got their OAT scores have realllllyyyy good scores and they got put on the waitlist! wow!

10. ariel winter

ariel winter Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

yeah, ya better believe it's competitive this year. it seems like all the applicants seem very competitive this app cycle... and there seems to be another significant rise in the number of applicants. could be wrong, but that appears to be the trend. keep that suny acceptance. :thumbup:

11. still_confused

still_confused Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    i feel almost guilty...holding on to a spot with my mediorce stats

taking into consideration my crappy scco interview, i guess suny will be my only choice!

12. ariel winter

5+ Year Member

never feel guilty about being accepted. they accepted you for a reason - be it your personality or extracurriculars if not solely your grades. you deserve it if you got it. :) ;)

13. still_confused

still_confused Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    thanks. your positive outlook on everything is amazing, keep it up, the world needs positive ppl to combat the waves of negativity :thumbup:

14. prettygreeneyes

Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Optometry Student

I don't know... Ariel Winter... isn't it dangerous to be so happy all the time? Is your emoticon :) :) :) function wearing down from over-use??? :D

(All in good fun...)

15. ariel winter

5+ Year Member

hahaha! always happy to be happy! i know it is important to understand and consider the negatives at times, but it is even more essential to realize the good and positive things too. i sincerely hope everyone here gets into the school of his or her choice and good luck in everything else! :) :) :)

16. Rusunn

Rusunn Member
    5+ Year Member

lol

17. Rusunn

Rusunn Member
    5+ Year Member

It seemed to be competitive last year also:
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=175387

You know, ever since I was young, my teachers/parents always told me: "As long as you work hard and get the grades, you can do or go anywhere you want.” Apparently the SUNY admissions doesn’t think this is the case

SUNY, them bastards!

I should have listen to my friend and apply for early decision, I might have a better chance.