Realistic salary expectations - $135k for new grads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preoptstudent3

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
A professor at UHCO claims that new grads are averaging $135k. I don't think I believe this claim based on everything I've read.

Is this a realistic salary for a new grad?

Members don't see this ad.

I would venture to guess not that high. It also probably depends on the type of area (rural vs city). I would imagine a more realistic number would be 90k+. I hope someone with more knowledge can jump in, because I wonder this myself.

Reactions: 1 user
I would venture to guess not that high. It also probably depends on the type of area (rural vs city). I would imagine a more realistic number would be 90k+. I hope someone with more knowledge can jump in, because I wonder this myself.
$90k definitely seems more reasonable. UHCO is probably inflating it to ease student's minds.

Members don't see this ad :)
That professor at UHCO was correct in their assessment. We often get offers from companies like NationalVisionInc (America's Best, Eyeglass World, Vista) out here in the midwest & east coast that are typically $135k average. I'm about to be a 4th year OD student, and $135k is a very realistic offer NOT including retail bonuses (meeting a quota for seeing a certain # of patients a day), student loan repayment programs, etc. They plan on signing on 4th year students in August, which is a whole 9 months before we even graduate.

I have no experience with private practice or mixed practice salaries, but I would imagine a higher payout if you join the right practice in the right areas. If a retail practice where you're an employee nets you $135k a year...owning a practice would net you much more if you know what you're doing.

Reactions: 2 users
$90k definitely seems more reasonable. UHCO is probably inflating it to ease student's minds.
90k doesn't seem reasonable at all for the average. There's not any optometrist jobs on any job recruiter site that would make you believe 90k was the average.

90k doesn't seem reasonable at all for the average. There's not any optometrist jobs on any job recruiter site that would make you believe 90k was the average.
Maybe it’s a Texas thing, but the OD students I know are offered contracts from $85-$110k.

Reactions: 2 users
Just take a cursory look at job boards. It varies wildly based on location and modality. I'm going into 4th year of school and regularly skim through new openings - there are awesome jobs (great benefits, location, work-life balance) that pay 90k (usually before bonuses) but also jobs that look like u can make 200k+ after benefits.

Reactions: 1 users
For reference, in Connecticut, my two associate doctors both work part time. If they worked a true full time schedule, their pro-rated earnings would be just under 200k. They are paid on production though and have established patient bases. I'm not sure someone coming right out of school is going to be able to pull that off. But in the right situation, $130k on a production based model should be easily doable for someone with the desire to learn.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you to who all replied. For the record, I wasn't purposefully trying to lowball the salary range. I had just browsed a few openings on USAJOBS.gov and that was the amount shown. I'm glad those who actually are in the field are offering some insight to the rest of us.

Thank you to who all replied. For the record, I wasn't purposefully trying to lowball the salary range. I had just browsed a few openings on USAJOBS.gov and that was the amount shown. I'm glad those who actually are in the field are offering some insight to the rest of us.
I'd prefer hearing from owners or optometrists themselves than website postings. More accurate ya know.

I do believe USAJOBS.gov is a website for federal positions like the VA and IHS which do tend to have much lower salaries than the private sector.

The hiring market appears to be getting more competitive. I'm seeing the starting salaries jump up. The $135K number may not be all that unrealistic.

I hired three OD's the last 5 years and they went from starting fresh from school @ 125K to now starting @ 145K.Most of their friends from SCO are getting 115K-150K depending on type of setting.

Why do you think that is?
Not sure but that is the trend right now. There are tons of jobs openings in most states. The listings are endless. Not sure if there is just a very large demand for eyecare right now.

A professor at UHCO claims that new grads are averaging $135k. I don't think I believe this claim based on everything I've read.

This is 100% a geographical question. A new grad can absolutely be hired at that salary if the demand is high enough. $90k would probably be an accurate estimate for saturated locations like Southern California or Utah. I practice in a moderately small city in the Pacific Northwest, and a new grad just took a job at a nearby Costco location making ~150k. That lease is held by a group with multiple Costco leases, so not necessarily the norm, and not the same as taking the lease yourself and starting a business, but other private practices would probably offer around 130-140. It just depends on how hard it is to find an optometrist in that particular area.

Highly dependent on where you’re working and what kind of setting you’re in. Starting in my area (saturated Bay Area in california) is closer to 100-120K, but that’s assuming you can find a full time position and it’s not great for our cost of living. Three years out I’m at $140k, but not in private practice.

100% depends on geography as some mentioned. My first job after graduating was $140k in the north east US, it wasn't private practice either. I stayed for 2 years in commercial before moving into private and still hovering around similar range just due to life style reasons. I have friends who are making $175-185k also due to geography, and practicing in states where licenses are harder to obtain. I live in north east, went to school in the northeast so I only have experience here but hearing that optometrists elsewhere are making $80-90k sounds god awful, it would not make school worth it. I also don't completely work full-time and generating around 140k. Full time, full-fledged practice working either retail or private will probably easily net you around 150-160k in my part of town.