You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Realistic salary expectations - $135k for new grads?
Started by preoptstudent3
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
$90k definitely seems more reasonable. UHCO is probably inflating it to ease student's minds.I would venture to guess not that high. It also probably depends on the type of area (rural vs city). I would imagine a more realistic number would be 90k+. I hope someone with more knowledge can jump in, because I wonder this myself.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That professor at UHCO was correct in their assessment. We often get offers from companies like NationalVisionInc (America's Best, Eyeglass World, Vista) out here in the midwest & east coast that are typically $135k average. I'm about to be a 4th year OD student, and $135k is a very realistic offer NOT including retail bonuses (meeting a quota for seeing a certain # of patients a day), student loan repayment programs, etc. They plan on signing on 4th year students in August, which is a whole 9 months before we even graduate.
I have no experience with private practice or mixed practice salaries, but I would imagine a higher payout if you join the right practice in the right areas. If a retail practice where you're an employee nets you $135k a year...owning a practice would net you much more if you know what you're doing.
I have no experience with private practice or mixed practice salaries, but I would imagine a higher payout if you join the right practice in the right areas. If a retail practice where you're an employee nets you $135k a year...owning a practice would net you much more if you know what you're doing.
90k doesn't seem reasonable at all for the average. There's not any optometrist jobs on any job recruiter site that would make you believe 90k was the average.$90k definitely seems more reasonable. UHCO is probably inflating it to ease student's minds.
Maybe it’s a Texas thing, but the OD students I know are offered contracts from $85-$110k.90k doesn't seem reasonable at all for the average. There's not any optometrist jobs on any job recruiter site that would make you believe 90k was the average.
I certainly hope to make $135k + !!!Maybe it’s a Texas thing, but the OD students I know are offered contracts from $85-$110k.
Just take a cursory look at job boards. It varies wildly based on location and modality. I'm going into 4th year of school and regularly skim through new openings - there are awesome jobs (great benefits, location, work-life balance) that pay 90k (usually before bonuses) but also jobs that look like u can make 200k+ after benefits.
For reference, in Connecticut, my two associate doctors both work part time. If they worked a true full time schedule, their pro-rated earnings would be just under 200k. They are paid on production though and have established patient bases. I'm not sure someone coming right out of school is going to be able to pull that off. But in the right situation, $130k on a production based model should be easily doable for someone with the desire to learn.
Thank you to who all replied. For the record, I wasn't purposefully trying to lowball the salary range. I had just browsed a few openings on USAJOBS.gov and that was the amount shown. I'm glad those who actually are in the field are offering some insight to the rest of us.
I'd prefer hearing from owners or optometrists themselves than website postings. More accurate ya know.Thank you to who all replied. For the record, I wasn't purposefully trying to lowball the salary range. I had just browsed a few openings on USAJOBS.gov and that was the amount shown. I'm glad those who actually are in the field are offering some insight to the rest of us.
I do believe USAJOBS.gov is a website for federal positions like the VA and IHS which do tend to have much lower salaries than the private sector.Thank you to who all replied. For the record, I wasn't purposefully trying to lowball the salary range. I had just browsed a few openings on USAJOBS.gov and that was the amount shown. I'm glad those who actually are in the field are offering some insight to the rest of us.
Why do you think that is?The hiring market appears to be getting more competitive. I'm seeing the starting salaries jump up. The $135K number may not be all that unrealistic.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure but that is the trend right now. There are tons of jobs openings in most states. The listings are endless. Not sure if there is just a very large demand for eyecare right now.Why do you think that is?
A professor at UHCO claims that new grads are averaging $135k. I don't think I believe this claim based on everything I've read.
Is this a realistic salary for a new grad?
This is 100% a geographical question. A new grad can absolutely be hired at that salary if the demand is high enough. $90k would probably be an accurate estimate for saturated locations like Southern California or Utah. I practice in a moderately small city in the Pacific Northwest, and a new grad just took a job at a nearby Costco location making ~150k. That lease is held by a group with multiple Costco leases, so not necessarily the norm, and not the same as taking the lease yourself and starting a business, but other private practices would probably offer around 130-140. It just depends on how hard it is to find an optometrist in that particular area.
Highly dependent on where you’re working and what kind of setting you’re in. Starting in my area (saturated Bay Area in california) is closer to 100-120K, but that’s assuming you can find a full time position and it’s not great for our cost of living. Three years out I’m at $140k, but not in private practice.A professor at UHCO claims that new grads are averaging $135k. I don't think I believe this claim based on everything I've read.
Is this a realistic salary for a new grad?
100% depends on geography as some mentioned. My first job after graduating was $140k in the north east US, it wasn't private practice either. I stayed for 2 years in commercial before moving into private and still hovering around similar range just due to life style reasons. I have friends who are making $175-185k also due to geography, and practicing in states where licenses are harder to obtain. I live in north east, went to school in the northeast so I only have experience here but hearing that optometrists elsewhere are making $80-90k sounds god awful, it would not make school worth it. I also don't completely work full-time and generating around 140k. Full time, full-fledged practice working either retail or private will probably easily net you around 150-160k in my part of town.A professor at UHCO claims that new grads are averaging $135k. I don't think I believe this claim based on everything I've read.
Is this a realistic salary for a new grad?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 210
H
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
H