Quantcast

Dilemma. Peace Corps & Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peace Corps & Reapply or MD Right Away

• Peace Corps & Reapply

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • MD Right Away

Votes: 22 81.5%

• Total voters

strugglebus5

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi all. I have a really interesting dilemma that I was hoping I could have help with. I am currently doing a year of domestic service and have felt called to join the Peace Corps as a compliment to my AmeriCorps year. Basically, my service with AmeriCorps has not been as personally challenging as I had hoped, and I am drawn to the Peace Corps precisely because it requires you to live in community with the persons you are serving. As someone who wants to go into community health, I see this cultural exchange and collective living as extremely vital to my career goals. I was accepted to a Health Exchange position that manifests as preventative health education and developing community health projects aimed at decreased health inequity.

However, I did not realize my desire to do the Peace Corps until well after applying to medical schools in July. I have also been accepted to several MD schools. Now, I know most schools will not give deferrals of more than one year, but there are a few that accommodate Peace Corps volunteers. The problem is that my position is 27 months with an August start date, which means that I will have to defer for 3 years. I highly doubt any medical school will let me defer for 3 years.

To further complicate the matter, my MCAT (>520) will expire in June of 2019, which means that if I am not granted a deferral for the Peace Corps, I will have to retake it and reapply. Though I am confident in my test taking skills, I am unsure that I will be able to score quite as high as I did again, especially several years out of undergraduate.

While I am aware of the Peace Corps options for physicians as well as the abundance of global health opportunities in medical school, none of those options have the level of cultural immersion and exchange as the Peace Corps.

I am drafting a deferral letter to the MD schools to which I have been accepted, but I am almost confident that they will all say no. What should I do?

strugglebus5

Reaction score
Go to med school, then join the Peace Corps
Thanks for the advice! Hypothetically, however, if I were to decline med school acceptance, join the Peace Corps, retake the MCAT and reapply, would I be "blacklisted?" I realize this is an incredibly dumb problem to have, and I am grateful for my acceptances, but I do feel really called to the Peace Corps.

Lawpy

39% Full Member
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! Hypothetically, however, if I were to decline med school acceptance, join the Peace Corps, retake the MCAT and reapply, would I be "blacklisted?" I realize this is an incredibly dumb problem to have, and I am grateful for my acceptances, but I do feel really called to the Peace Corps.

You will likely get blacklisted if you turn down an MD acceptance. You could ask for a deferral, but if you can't, I'd do Peace Corps after you're done with med school.

strugglebus5

Reaction score
You will likely get blacklisted if you turn down an MD acceptance. You could ask for a deferral, but if you can't, I'd do Peace Corps after you're done with med school.
Awesome thanks for the help!

Forever Geebs

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Med school. Easy choice.

Just put the PC call on hold and answer it’s call later, assuming they didn’t hang up/get disconnected. That happens some times, you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

workaholic181

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I have a really interesting dilemma that I was hoping I could have help with. I am currently doing a year of domestic service and have felt called to join the Peace Corps as a compliment to my AmeriCorps year. Basically, my service with AmeriCorps has not been as personally challenging as I had hoped, and I am drawn to the Peace Corps precisely because it requires you to live in community with the persons you are serving. As someone who wants to go into community health, I see this cultural exchange and collective living as extremely vital to my career goals. I was accepted to a Health Exchange position that manifests as preventative health education and developing community health projects aimed at decreased health inequity.

However, I did not realize my desire to do the Peace Corps until well after applying to medical schools in July. I have also been accepted to several MD schools. Now, I know most schools will not give deferrals of more than one year, but there are a few that accommodate Peace Corps volunteers. The problem is that my position is 27 months with an August start date, which means that I will have to defer for 3 years. I highly doubt any medical school will let me defer for 3 years.

To further complicate the matter, my MCAT (>520) will expire in June of 2019, which means that if I am not granted a deferral for the Peace Corps, I will have to retake it and reapply. Though I am confident in my test taking skills, I am unsure that I will be able to score quite as high as I did again, especially several years out of undergraduate.

While I am aware of the Peace Corps options for physicians as well as the abundance of global health opportunities in medical school, none of those options have the level of cultural immersion and exchange as the Peace Corps.

I am drafting a deferral letter to the MD schools to which I have been accepted, but I am almost confident that they will all say no. What should I do?

I admire your desire to be of service to those in need around the world but I would suggest that you consider your training to become a Dr. as making your service even more valuable. PC does amazing work and all of its volunteers are invaluable, but as a physician you can offer so much more to MSF or likewise organizations. Acquiring your MD first will only make your impact greater.

Reactions: 1 user

OneTwoThreeFour

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think you may be surprised by the schools you already have acceptances to. I have seen deferrals granted for significantly less meaningful experiences than Peace Corps. Either way, though, don't turn down the acceptance. One of the first things you see when reviewing an application is "has this person received an MD acceptance in the past." It is not a good look if the answer to that question is yes.

Reactions: 1 user

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Peace corps isn’t worth losing 200k/yr, go to med school
Not everyone ascribes the same value to money that you do. This person might be willing to spend 200k to go to peace corps.

Reactions: 1 users
D

deleted480308

Not everyone ascribes the same value to money that you do. This person might be willing to spend 200k to go to peace corps.
Which is why they have the right to ignore my advice.

Reactions: 1 users