Dilemma! please offer your serious opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gaba101

Doctor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wow, I don't really know what to tell you. I know that most hospital jobs that I know of includes training in the IV room. If you have the chance to do P&T stuff I would go with that because that is stuff that may be useful for residency and stuff, however, you also need to know how to make IVs. I would talk to the DOP at the second hospital and explain that you need some IV experience and they may let you be trained in the the IV room. I have found that most DOPs are very willing to work with students to help meet their training needs *mostly so the students really like that institution and stay on as pharmacist*

I think that juggling two jobs and rotations will be too much for you. I did it for a month during my EPPE, which was by no means intenstive and I got done with that month feeling like I had been ran over by a mack truck. I also had more migraines in that month period then I think I ever have.

2 - would I seriously be in bad shape for the Boards (and as a future hospital pharmacist) if didn't have the IV knowledge?

No. I wouldn't let that be such a deciding factor, personally. I will be starting a (paritally) hospital job in a month with very little IV experience. Although I worked in a hospital for 3 years, they wouldn't let interns in the IV room. :rolleyes: So I would just go in there after the admin were gone. No formal training, but I sought out my own chances to learn at least a little bit.

I also did pretty well on my boards despite my lack of experience.

My hospital experience is a little bit different from you guys. All I did was IV. We were supposed to rotate, but for some reason, we never did. I did them faster and better than the pharmacists working at the time because they never made anything. They did it once or twice when it was some really expensive drug, but that was it.

In my opinion, it doesn't really matter what hospital you work. No experience is a bad experience. You will learn something regardless. Besides, I don't think it's wise to work at 2 different hospitals at once. But all you really have to do is be honest. Tell him that you can't start until so and so date. He is not going to ask you why and even if he did, just be honest and tell him and explain your reasons. There is nothing wrong with a hard working student wanting to learn as much as he wants, the only problem the interviewer might get out of this is that you will not be flexible due to another job.