General Admissions & OTCAS dilemma (well IDK)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

this_afreekan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I have 2 Ds in 2 courses not listed as pre reqs(chem 2 and micro), should I still retake them? My GPA is a 3.10 with them and i'm over it but I don't want to hurt my chances but I also don't want to waste money and time. Will it hurt the OTCAS calculation of my GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

It will hurt your OTCAS GPA, but it just depends on how much the schools you're applying to care about GPA. I had a few D's and an F on my transcripts, but got into a school that looked at other factors (and last 60 units :) )

Reactions: 1 user
It will hurt your OTCAS GPA, but it just depends on how much the schools you're applying to care about GPA. I had a few D's and an F on my transcripts, but got into a school that looked at other factors (and last 60 units :) )
I got the 2 Ds during my last 60 units :/ the schools I'm interested in require a 3.0 cum. Can I ask you what your stats are? and where did you get accepted into?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the 2 Ds during my last 60 units :/ the schools I'm interested in require a 3.0 cum. Can I ask you what your stats are? and where did you get accepted into?

Ah... yeah, those 2 D's would not help with schools who only look at last 60 units... But, if it's the schools that look at cumulative GPA, that might be to your advantage since your overall GPA is 3.1. Some schools only require you to hit a minimum for GPA and GRE, then they only look at the rest of your application. So, it really just depends. Sorry I can't be much more help than that. My stats are below though:

University: University of California, Davis
Major: Economics (2009)
Overall GPA: OTCAS 2.76
Last 60 credits GPA: 3.8
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8-4.0 (depending on the school)
GRE: 155V, 150Q, 4.5W

Work: Personal Fitness Trainer (8 years)

Observation/Volunteer hours: 120 hours Hospital, 40 hours PEDS, 40 hours community health workshop volunteer

LOR: OTR/L from Keck, Psych prof, former manager

Applied to: SJSU, Pacific U, Columbia, SUNY Downstate, TJU

Acceptances: SJSU

Rejections: TJU, Pacific U, Columbia, SUNY Downstate

Interviews: None

Reactions: 1 users
If I have 2 Ds in 2 courses not listed as pre reqs(chem 2 and micro), should I still retake them? My GPA is a 3.10 with them and i'm over it but I don't want to hurt my chances but I also don't want to waste money and time. Will it hurt the OTCAS calculation of my GPA?

Hi! I wouldn't be too concerned about Ds in classes not listed as prereqs. I was really worried about getting into an OT school with my GPA, but there's always hope! I honestly think a lot of it was my prior experiences in underserved communities/OT-related activities and my strong personal statement/essays :) I just finished my first year of OT school and I'm so happy I didn't let my fears hold me back! Here's my stats if it'll help:

University:
UCLA
Major: Physiological Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.15 according to OTCAS
Prereq GPA: around 3.0
GRE: 4.0 writing, 164 verbal, 161 quantitative

Volunteer/Observation/Work Experience:
50 hours in outpatient Rehab, 50 hours in geriatric rehab, 5 years of Special Olympics (president for one year), Mobile Clinic, Club Taekwondo, Anatomy UA, full-time clinical research coordinator for 2 years

Certifications:
CPR/First Aid, NREMT

Applied: MGHIHP, Rush, Boston U, U of South Dakota, Murphy Deming, U of Tennessee, USC, UIC, Huntington, Toledo, Pittsburgh, Thomas Jefferson, Columbia, Virginia Commonwealth
Accepted: USC, MGHIHP (02/28), Boston U (off waitlist on 03/28), USC (03/27), Pittsburgh (01/18), Thomas Jefferson (02/01), Columbia (03/21), Virginia Commonwealth (02/01)
Waitlisted: Rush (withdrew), Boston U, Toledo (withdrew)
Rejections: UIC, U of Tennessee
Interviews: MGHIHP, Rush, Boston U, U of South Dakota (declined), Huntington (declined), Thomas Jefferson
Attending: USC

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! I wouldn't be too concerned about Ds in classes not listed as prereqs. I was really worried about getting into an OT school with my GPA, but there's always hope! I honestly think a lot of it was my prior experiences in underserved communities/OT-related activities and my strong personal statement/essays :) I just finished my first year of OT school and I'm so happy I didn't let my fears hold me back! Here's my stats if it'll help:

University:
UCLA
Major: Physiological Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.15 according to OTCAS
Prereq GPA: around 3.0
GRE: 4.0 writing, 164 verbal, 161 quantitative

Volunteer/Observation/Work Experience:
50 hours in outpatient Rehab, 50 hours in geriatric rehab, 5 years of Special Olympics (president for one year), Mobile Clinic, Club Taekwondo, Anatomy UA, full-time clinical research coordinator for 2 years

Certifications:
CPR/First Aid, NREMT

Applied: MGHIHP, Rush, Boston U, U of South Dakota, Murphy Deming, U of Tennessee, USC, UIC, Huntington, Toledo, Pittsburgh, Thomas Jefferson, Columbia, Virginia Commonwealth
Accepted: USC, MGHIHP (02/28), Boston U (off waitlist on 03/28), USC (03/27), Pittsburgh (01/18), Thomas Jefferson (02/01), Columbia (03/21), Virginia Commonwealth (02/01)
Waitlisted: Rush (withdrew), Boston U, Toledo (withdrew)
Rejections: UIC, U of Tennessee
Interviews: MGHIHP, Rush, Boston U, U of South Dakota (declined), Huntington (declined), Thomas Jefferson
Attending: USC
WOW. Thank you for posting your stats, I have an F in my applied anatomy from my first semester of undergrad along with 3 c's in marketing courses and I feel so haunted. Thanks for the glimmer of hope! Congrats on your successes!

Reactions: 1 users