Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Dilemma

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Tyrius, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Tyrius

Tyrius Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    So it comes time for my college applications. I've thought alot about Pharmacy and i think that is my #1 Choice right now but after partaking in a 6-week internship in departments around the hospital i am also interested in Nursing. I'm going to be applying to some Pharmacy Schools straight out of high school but Also instate UNM and Texas Tech (i get counted as instate) I'm wondering would going to Tech/UNM or just any 4 year college so i can make my decision final about what exactly i want to do so i dont go to pharmacy school and then change my mind be a good idea? I also feel that my application to Pharm school would be much stronger becuase i would have more extracurriculars and i'll be able to get more experience in pharmacy that way which would also contribute to solidifying my career. The pre-reqs for Pharm School take around 2 years to complete and i found a BSN program which the pre-reqs take 2 years and the BSN program itself is 18 months.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr. Leca

Dr. Leca Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Being realistic

BSN takes 4 years and PharmD takes 8.

It is very difficult to finish the Pharmacy pre-reqs in just 2 years. And when you work full time like me, its impossible.

I am also interested in Pharmacy and Nursing, still havn't made up my mind.

4. Dr. Leca

Dr. Leca Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    And Pharmacy is one of the most difficult schools to get accepted in without a Bachelors. So you should plan on getting one before you enroll.

5. ButlerPharm.D.

ButlerPharm.D. Honor Before Glory
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Dr. Leca is misinformed. If you have a good idea that pharmacy is what you want to do I would apply to those 0+6 programs that you mentioned. In the end, it may end up saving you time and money if you decided pharmacy is for you. If you read these forums you will find numerous stories of people who decided they weren't sure pharmacy was for them and instead they decided they were going to test the waters while in college. As a result there are some people that have had a very hard time getting into pharmacy school because of the competitive nature of the admissions process.

Having said that, I would suggest that you apply to the 0+6 programs that you mentioned and if you get in, I would then suggest that you take a serious look at your future and what you want for it. I did the 0+6 route and so if you have any questions feel free to e-mail me, I will pm you with my e-mail address.

6. Tyrius

Tyrius Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thank you very much =]

7. pharmwannebe2

pharmwannebe2 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    umm hmmm best deal if you are out of high school if you don't do that then you are screwed and usually have to go thru a bs degree.

8. longnguyen

longnguyen Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pharmacy Student
    That's totally WRONG!
    Look at the 2005 stats, there's a lot of people accepted without any degree.
    As an example, just look at the population at UF COP.