Tyrius

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2005
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
So it comes time for my college applications. I've thought alot about Pharmacy and i think that is my #1 Choice right now but after partaking in a 6-week internship in departments around the hospital i am also interested in Nursing. I'm going to be applying to some Pharmacy Schools straight out of high school but Also instate UNM and Texas Tech (i get counted as instate) I'm wondering would going to Tech/UNM or just any 4 year college so i can make my decision final about what exactly i want to do so i dont go to pharmacy school and then change my mind be a good idea? I also feel that my application to Pharm school would be much stronger becuase i would have more extracurriculars and i'll be able to get more experience in pharmacy that way which would also contribute to solidifying my career. The pre-reqs for Pharm School take around 2 years to complete and i found a BSN program which the pre-reqs take 2 years and the BSN program itself is 18 months.

Dr. Leca

10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Being realistic

BSN takes 4 years and PharmD takes 8.

It is very difficult to finish the Pharmacy pre-reqs in just 2 years. And when you work full time like me, its impossible.

I am also interested in Pharmacy and Nursing, still havn't made up my mind.

Dr. Leca

10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
And Pharmacy is one of the most difficult schools to get accepted in without a Bachelors. So you should plan on getting one before you enroll.

About the Ads

ButlerPharm.D.

Honor Before Glory
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
Dr. Leca is misinformed. If you have a good idea that pharmacy is what you want to do I would apply to those 0+6 programs that you mentioned. In the end, it may end up saving you time and money if you decided pharmacy is for you. If you read these forums you will find numerous stories of people who decided they weren't sure pharmacy was for them and instead they decided they were going to test the waters while in college. As a result there are some people that have had a very hard time getting into pharmacy school because of the competitive nature of the admissions process.

Having said that, I would suggest that you apply to the 0+6 programs that you mentioned and if you get in, I would then suggest that you take a serious look at your future and what you want for it. I did the 0+6 route and so if you have any questions feel free to e-mail me, I will pm you with my e-mail address.

OP
T

Tyrius

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2005
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Thank you very much =]

pharmwannebe2

10+ Year Member
May 22, 2006
Flipadelphia, PA
Status
Pharmacy Student
ButlerPharm.D. said:
Dr. Leca is misinformed. If you have a good idea that pharmacy is what you want to do I would apply to those 0+6 programs that you mentioned. In the end, it may end up saving you time and money if you decided pharmacy is for you. If you read these forums you will find numerous stories of people who decided they weren't sure pharmacy was for them and instead they decided they were going to test the waters while in college. As a result there are some people that have had a very hard time getting into pharmacy school because of the competitive nature of the admissions process.

Having said that, I would suggest that you apply to the 0+6 programs that you mentioned and if you get in, I would then suggest that you take a serious look at your future and what you want for it. I did the 0+6 route and so if you have any questions feel free to e-mail me, I will pm you with my e-mail address.
umm hmmm best deal if you are out of high school if you don't do that then you are screwed and usually have to go thru a bs degree.

longnguyen

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
Dr. Leca said:
And Pharmacy is one of the most difficult schools to get accepted in without a Bachelors. So you should plan on getting one before you enroll.
That's totally WRONG!
Look at the 2005 stats, there's a lot of people accepted without any degree.
As an example, just look at the population at UF COP.

About the Ads