amelie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2002
Visit site
Status (Visible)
i am about to return to work...and here's the thing...

the job i really want would require that i take a 3000 pay cut. (basically putting me back at entry level when i have 3.5 years experience).

the job i don't really want would pay me approx. what i was making before i returned to school.

my question is: what would you do?

need some sort of sounding board.

thanks...

Medical123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2001
Visit site
Status (Visible)
It would be a hard decision. I am not sure what I would do myself if I were in your situation. However, sometimes being happy is a little bit more important than having money. It just depends on whether or not you can afford the pay cut.

tkim

10 cc's cordrazine
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
New England
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by amelie
my question is: what would you do?

The question is whether you need the 3K more than the extra job satisfaction from the lower-paying job.

How long you stay at that job would also be a factor for me.

Say, if I were planning on going to med school in a year or two, and I knew that I could use the extra money to beat down some debt before matriculating, then I'd suck it up and work for more money with less satisfaction.

If I planned on staying at a job for more than a couple of years, and personally, I get sick of crappy situations real quick, then I'd take the more satisfying job since job satisfaction is what I'm looking for here.

- Tae

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads