Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

dilemma

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by amelie, Oct 1, 2002.

1. amelie

amelie Member
    10+ Year Member

i am about to return to work...and here's the thing...

the job i really want would require that i take a 3000 pay cut. (basically putting me back at entry level when i have 3.5 years experience).

the job i don't really want would pay me approx. what i was making before i returned to school.

my question is: what would you do?

need some sort of sounding board.

thanks...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Medical123

Medical123 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It would be a hard decision. I am not sure what I would do myself if I were in your situation. However, sometimes being happy is a little bit more important than having money. It just depends on whether or not you can afford the pay cut.

4. tkim

tkim 10 cc's cordrazine
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The question is whether you need the 3K more than the extra job satisfaction from the lower-paying job.

How long you stay at that job would also be a factor for me.

Say, if I were planning on going to med school in a year or two, and I knew that I could use the extra money to beat down some debt before matriculating, then I'd suck it up and work for more money with less satisfaction.

If I planned on staying at a job for more than a couple of years, and personally, I get sick of crappy situations real quick, then I'd take the more satisfying job since job satisfaction is what I'm looking for here.

- Tae