dilemma

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by amelie, Oct 1, 2002.

1. amelie

amelie Member

i am about to return to work...and here's the thing...

the job i really want would require that i take a 3000 pay cut. (basically putting me back at entry level when i have 3.5 years experience).

the job i don't really want would pay me approx. what i was making before i returned to school.

my question is: what would you do?

need some sort of sounding board.

thanks...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Medical123

Medical123 Senior Member

It would be a hard decision. I am not sure what I would do myself if I were in your situation. However, sometimes being happy is a little bit more important than having money. It just depends on whether or not you can afford the pay cut.

4. tkim

tkim 10 cc's cordrazine
    Physician

Attending Physician
    The question is whether you need the 3K more than the extra job satisfaction from the lower-paying job.

How long you stay at that job would also be a factor for me.

Say, if I were planning on going to med school in a year or two, and I knew that I could use the extra money to beat down some debt before matriculating, then I'd suck it up and work for more money with less satisfaction.

If I planned on staying at a job for more than a couple of years, and personally, I get sick of crappy situations real quick, then I'd take the more satisfying job since job satisfaction is what I'm looking for here.

- Tae