Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldennemesis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I have been a lurker here for a good while now, just didn't have any good questions to ask, but now I do. I got my acceptance today from ETSU. I am very psyched, its my first acceptance. Somewhat unfortunately, I do like the school, but because they were so fast about accepting me (they only received my all less than two weeks ago), I am going to have to send in my deposit to them before I will know about any of my other schools. I applied to four in all, and since ETSU was my second choice, the only one I would ditch ETSU for would be University of New Mexico, my first choice.

UNM does not have rolling admissions, so I pretty much knew this was going to happen if I got into one of my other three schools. I have decided that in order to make myself a little more visible as an out-of-state applicant at UNM, I want to send them an e-mail expressing how much I really, really want to go there. My question is, is it a good idea to tell them I am admitted to a school, but that they are my first choice, and I would likely chose to sacrifice my spot at ETSU to attend UNM?

And because I know people will ask, these are my stats:

-Cumulative GPA: 3.33
-Science GPA: 3.33
-PCAT: taken once, got a 95 percentile much to my relief
-Have a B.A. in Biology, minor in History from Wellesley College
-Have been working as a compounding technician in a local pharmacy since June
-Only a couple of extracurriculars, but I was dedicated to them
-Very limited volunteer work

Thank you in advance!

P.S. If you can think of any other things I should tell UNM Admissions, please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I have been a lurker here for a good while now, just didn't have any good questions to ask, but now I do. I got my acceptance today from ETSU. I am very psyched, its my first acceptance. Somewhat unfortunately, I do like the school, but because they were so fast about accepting me (they only received my all less than two weeks ago), I am going to have to send in my deposit to them before I will know about any of my other schools. I applied to four in all, and since ETSU was my second choice, the only one I would ditch ETSU for would be University of New Mexico, my first choice.

UNM does not have rolling admissions, so I pretty much knew this was going to happen if I got into one of my other three schools. I have decided that in order to make myself a little more visible as an out-of-state applicant at UNM, I want to send them an e-mail expressing how much I really, really want to go there. My question is, is it a good idea to tell them I am admitted to a school, but that they are my first choice, and I would likely chose to sacrifice my spot at ETSU to attend UNM?

And because I know people will ask, these are my stats:

-Cumulative GPA: 3.33
-Science GPA: 3.33
-PCAT: taken once, got a 95 percentile much to my relief
-Have a B.A. in Biology, minor in History from Wellesley College
-Have been working as a compounding technician in a local pharmacy since June
-Only a couple of extracurriculars, but I was dedicated to them
-Very limited volunteer work

Thank you in advance!

P.S. If you can think of any other things I should tell UNM Admissions, please let me know.

The contents of your email will probably not be allowed in the admissions process. Therefore, I have nothing to say on your last question. Pay the deposit at ETSU and wait for UNM to contact you. Good luck.:thumbup:

don't send the email, it would be simply dumb, why does UNM should believe you that you got the offer of your second choice? and email like this probably will get you eliminated. DON'T DO IT!

Pay the deposit, so you will have a piece of mind, not everyone can get into their first choice, second choice is not bad at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
The deposit is only a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of money you would be losing if you were to not get in anywhere. Consider the deposit as an insurance policy. Don't be a gambler...pay the deposit.

I think I was (somewhat) misread. I intend to pay the deposit to ETSU, and would be happy to go there. You are right NateAZSD, it would be a gamble not to accept the offer, and a foolish one at that. And neither is a gamble I intend to make.

Not knowing much about the admissions etiquette/procedure, I was simply seeking advice concerning if I should inform UNM of my current position as a student who has already been accepted. Obviously, you don't think its a good idea, which is good to know. I had my own doubts about if it was a good idea, which is why I posted here.