Jan 6, 2010
97
0
0
Florida
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I have been accepted into two schools over seas and am waitlisted at two schools in the states!
I really want to stay in the states to be close to my family, but would also LOVE to go abroad.
I have called both schools I've been waitlisted on to get any information about my position on the waitlist. One said I was "pretty far down" and the other said I had a "good chance of getting called in."

What I can't decided is whether to pay the $2600 deposit to my over seas choice, or wait and hope to get in here.

The advisor told me to call again on Thursday to get a better idea of what the numbers are like... but I'm freaking out.

I don't want to waste my money... but I don't want to not go to school next year.:scared:

Any advice?
 

BomberCanoe

UTK c/o 2014
Mar 8, 2010
68
0
0
Raleigh
Status
Veterinary Student
When is the first deposit due? Is it completely non refundable? Do both schools have the same deposit due date, as well as deposit fee? I would definitely wait until the last possible date, so that you have all of your options available, but I would also not wait so long as to miss out on the options you have now, for the one that is not certain at all.
 

Whyevernot55

OKSU 2016!
5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2009
1,328
8
101
MA
Status
Pre-Veterinary
None whatsoever - I am also waitlisted in my top choice school stateside, and accepted to University of Edinburgh. :scared:
 

BlacKAT33

UPenn c/o 2014!! :)
Jul 1, 2009
2,381
4
0
Status
Veterinary Student
holyyyyyyyyyyyy**** that is a huge deposit!! these overseas schools are no joke lol. Unfortunately, unless you hear from the state schools before your deposit is due for the overseas one you have no real choice. You'll have to put a deposit down :( Think of it this way though, if you lose your deposit (yes i know it is huge) but in the big picture that is 650$ more per year over 4 yrs you are in state. Not a huge deal. It's better to save your seat overseas and if you get into a state school that is still great!! you'll be close to family, and only pay 650$ more per yr :D If you don't get into a state school, THANK GOD YOU PUT THE DEPOSIT DOWN :laugh:

But ya, I'd wait up until 2-3 days before the deposit is due. So its not TOO last minute, but still gives some more waiting time for the state schools.
 
Dec 4, 2009
71
0
0
Orlando, FL
Status
Veterinary Student
Hey galen!! I am in a similar boat. I got into Dublin (as you know because you joined our awesome facebook group!) and am waitlisted at auburn and LSU. I don't have a ranking for either one so I literally have no idea what my chances are. I do know that there is no way that I am missing out on my only official acceptance, so I plan on submitting my deposit next week. I figure if I get a call over the summer from a US school, then yeah it'll suck that I lost the deposit, but at least I gave myself every opportunity to go to vet school! Until I hear otherwise I am planning my future at UCD:) whatever decision you choose, I'm sure you will be fine! And if you wind up at Dublin then I look forward to being your classmate in the fall!!!:):)
 

luplodw

Mississippi c/o 2014!!
Jun 13, 2009
798
2
0
Nashville, TN
www.facebook.com
Status
Veterinary Student
$2600 isn't that much when you think about how much you could save going to a school in the states! Put the deposit down for sureeee!! If you get called off the waitlist then you can worry about which school to go to then
 
Jul 11, 2009
29
1
0
Status
Pre-Veterinary
$2,600 is a huge deposit!!

I would stick it out if I were in your situation. Especially if you've got a good chance of getting called off the wait list.

I think the benefits of getting called off the wait list at a US school and saving yourself a $2,600 deposit outweigh the risk of not getting accepted to a US school and losing your spot at an overseas school because no deposit was put down. Because even though it sucks, you can always apply next cycle. (but even then you have to figure how much that will cost you and ask yourself if it's worth it. at least you'll have the $2,600 to fund it though)

Maybe you could call the overseas school and get an extension on the deposit deadline so that you can wait a little longer for the call from a US school? I know it's probably a long shot, but I guess it's worth asking. Either way, definitely call for updates from your wait-listed school and see how good your chances are!
 

luplodw

Mississippi c/o 2014!!
Jun 13, 2009
798
2
0
Nashville, TN
www.facebook.com
Status
Veterinary Student
Then you have to think about if you don't get accepted this year and you have to apply next year, how much will it cost you to reapply?? How much will it cost to go to interviews? I say definitely put the deposit down!
 

shortnsweet

Just Keep Swimming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
5,200
1,181
181
Resident-Land
Status
Veterinarian
My advice...go abroad..it is an experience and an opportunity you will never have again...plus, if you really end up hating it (which I sincerely doubt you will), you have the option to transfer back to the states. I know the thought of leaving family, friends, SOs, pets...is SO SCARY....but I cannot emphasize enough how WORTH IT is really is.

Feel free to chat...I can bet you a lot of the abroad kids have been in the exact same position as you....;)
 

VeganSoprano

Queen of Spayeds
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 27, 2004
686
3
0
39
Washington, DC
Status
I'd definitely wait until the last minute, but put the deposit down anyway. $2600 is a good chunk of money but it's not much when compared with the opportunity cost of waiting another year to gain acceptance because you lost your seat for this year. The only reason to not put down your deposit is if you really do not want to go to Dublin even if it is your only acceptance.
 

mdnightinlondon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2008
12
0
91
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Hey!
I am in the same position! I am accepted at Edinburgh but am high on the waitlist for an O.O.S. school. The only thing is, even if I get in the O.O.S. school, I still might want to go to Edinburgh! This is because I don't think I'll have another awesome opportunity like this and even though I would be closer to my family in the states (still far away but not as far as Scotland) I don't know if I can pass it up because Edinburgh's costs are on par with most O.O.S. schools! Does anyone on here find that statement to be correct? I hope I am crunching the numbers right!
 

HopefulAg

Texas A&M CVM c/o 2014!
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2007
2,378
18
251
Status
Veterinarian
If given the option between a sure thing and a waitlist, I'd go with the sure thing. Plus the Edinburgh deposit is applied to your tuition once you matriculate.

Also, and this is just me, but given the choice between OOS and abroad (Edinburgh in this case), I'd go with abroad. You'll be paying about the same amount any how. That's what I would've done had my IS rejected me.
 
Jan 31, 2010
872
0
0
Minnesota
Status
Veterinary Student
As long as you know that you'd want to go overseas if you weren't on the waitlist somewhere else, I'd put the deposit down. In the short term, it would suck to eat a 2.6k loss, but it's better than not getting in anywhere because you held out. I had to eat a $500 deposit loss because I wanted to be absolutely certain I got in somewhere this cycle, but in the end, I figured it was better to do that than run the risk of having to pay the complete VMCAS application fees again next year.
 
Jan 6, 2010
97
0
0
Florida
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Thanks for the advice guys!!! It's really helping me make a decision. I think I am going to put down a deposit and if I have to eat it... I have to eat it haha!