diltiazem and verapamil products

Started by clarkbar
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

clarkbar

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what's a good resource to differentiate between these products, see what is interchangeable, and info on dosing?
 
what's a good resource to differentiate between these products, see what is interchangeable, and info on dosing?

Good question - I hate diltiazem orders.

If you work retail, and use McKesson as your supplier, I have found a good way to go about it.

I take the ndc ordered and punch it into McKesson. Find the drug, then click on the ge (generic equilivancy) button. McKesson will give you a list of generic equilivant drugs. Pick your cheapest generic.

When dealing with the avalanch of issues that comes up in the day - it is nice to let the computer do the thinking for you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hospital--no NDCs where I work

Ugh - I love a good ndc..... Well there is always the orange book but even after years of pharmacisting I am bamboozled every time I open it.. maybe there is a good YouTube video on how to use it.
 
I combine Dailymed and Orange Book to confirm equivalencies but it's easier to check the product label on Dailymed first then search for the (A)NDA that's listed on the Orange Book online database
 
Does your hospital have that many unique products on formulary without substitution protocol?
My place has a couple strengths each of IR and ER oral diltiazem products, with protocols to automatically substitute the formulary ER/XR/CD product when ordered.
This is the best answer.

There's no truly clinically significant difference between the diltiazem products, and a protocol allowing for a switch is the best policy
 
hospital doesn't have anything like that.
what's the general rule of thumb between the myriad products and dosing. often times only one is available:

cardiziem LA vs. CR vs. XR vs. XT

and the verapamils?
 
hospital doesn't have anything like that.
what's the general rule of thumb between the myriad products and dosing. often times only one is available:
cardiziem LA vs. CR vs. XR vs. XT
and the verapamils?

Is there not a requirement for hospital pharmacy to have a minimum set of resources?
 
hospital doesn't have anything like that.
what's the general rule of thumb between the myriad products and dosing. often times only one is available:

cardiziem LA vs. CR vs. XR vs. XT

and the verapamils?
I work at a university affiliated medical center. We have a protocol to automatically substitute the most common extended release medications we regularly have ordered. DailyMed is a nice resource also.

But I'm a little confused about you not having NDC info. We use Epic and it feels like we are updating NDCs all the time. They have to be available.