Dipole-Dipole Interactions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaughingMan

Avoid Arrogance
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I seem to have come across some conflicting information a while back that I cannot ID the source.

I am wanting to confirm, that a molecule such as CCl4, would NOT have Dipole-Dipole interactions with another molecule of CCl4, due to the fact that the molecule has no net dipole-movement/polarity.

True yes?

Members don't see this ad.

That would be intuitive but it turns out that non-polar compounds form induced dipoles. Induced dipoles are transient since its a non-polar molecule.

This is how non-polar substances can be attracted to each other.

So polar molecules are attracted by hydrogen-bonding which is a type of dipole-dipole interaction and non-polar molecules are attracted by induced-dipoles, a type of dipole-dipole interaction.

The same but different I guess

According to ExamKrackers Audio Osmosis (highly recommended)

When induced dipoles interact, it's called London dispersion forces. When two dipoles interact, it's called polar attraction. When there is a directionality associated with it (O--Hd+ - - - d-O) that obeys orbital overlap, then it's called hydrogen bonding.

When induced dipoles interact, it's called London dispersion forces. When two dipoles interact, it's called polar attraction. When there is a directionality associated with it (O--Hd+ - - - d-O) that obeys orbital overlap, then it's called hydrogen bonding.

So CCl4 would have induced dipoles--and only have London Dispersion Forces?

Members don't see this ad :)