Quantcast

What is dipole and help with fluid

Get Shadowing and a Virtual Clinical Education
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pennyboard95

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I was wondering what the application of the formula for fluids: delta(pressure)=(flow-rate)*(resistance)

I guess its use just doesn't seem very intuitive to me.

Also what is a dipole in electric field and why would you use it? There is an equation p=qd and I guess it's a vector but idk I can't remember learning this in physics thanks! Oh yeah also why is the sign differnet in physics and chemistry?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

majikarp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the formula you mentioned is typically used in the context of blood circulation. But its super similar to another familiar formula.....
V = IR
The delta pressure is like a voltage difference that generates the potential to create a current (represented by flow rate) that is impeded by resistance. Just like in an electrical circuit there is a flow of electrons impeded by the wires/resistors, in the body there is a flow of blood impeded by the resistance of vessels.

Dipole in the electric field essentially tells you which direction a given charge would move in. Convention is to draw electric field lines in the direction that a positive charge would go towards, which would be its dipole. As for that equation, I wouldn't stress too much about it. Just remember, as we all know, that like charges repel and opposite charges attract and that is essentially the direction of the dipole.