What is dipole and help with fluid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pennyboard95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I was wondering what the application of the formula for fluids: delta(pressure)=(flow-rate)*(resistance)

I guess its use just doesn't seem very intuitive to me.

Also what is a dipole in electric field and why would you use it? There is an equation p=qd and I guess it's a vector but idk I can't remember learning this in physics thanks! Oh yeah also why is the sign differnet in physics and chemistry?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

So the formula you mentioned is typically used in the context of blood circulation. But its super similar to another familiar formula.....
V = IR
The delta pressure is like a voltage difference that generates the potential to create a current (represented by flow rate) that is impeded by resistance. Just like in an electrical circuit there is a flow of electrons impeded by the wires/resistors, in the body there is a flow of blood impeded by the resistance of vessels.

Dipole in the electric field essentially tells you which direction a given charge would move in. Convention is to draw electric field lines in the direction that a positive charge would go towards, which would be its dipole. As for that equation, I wouldn't stress too much about it. Just remember, as we all know, that like charges repel and opposite charges attract and that is essentially the direction of the dipole.