Direct Admits: Bad for EPs, Good for Society

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me make an argument that will be unpopular with the wallets of Emergency Physicians:

By overutilizing the ED as the portal of hospital admission we as a society are wasting a lot of money. We would be better served if there were more direct admits. That would cut out the patients who really don’t require the services of an ED or an EP.

How many times a day do most of us see patients sent from nursing homes, private physician offices or sent in after a phone conversation with a PMD with instructions “Get this and that test and admit to my service?” I see it a lot. At several of my hospitals, depending on the time of day, it can be around 50%.

Now I’m not talking about the patients who actually need an ED work up. “Hey! This guy in my office is cool, pale and diaphoretic. I calling 911 and sending him to you.” I’m not even talking about the patients who can go home if their work up is negative like the 20+ patients a day my group sees for “rule out DVT” (seriously, I have numbers).

The causes for this are multifactorial like most problems in medicine. Mainly though it boils down to physician laziness and stupid, wasteful insurance company mandates.

If these patients could bypass the ED and avoid the resultant bills I would make less money but resources of the system could be used more effectively.

Members don't see this ad.

To be Devil's advocate here....

Most of these patients are insured (otherwise they wouldn't have a PMD), have most of their workup done already, and have a plan. Additionally they represent a level 5 visit.

My work with most of these patients consists of talking to their doctors, explaining to the patient that they need to be admitted, order the tests and admit them. This is far easier money than the 50 year old female with vague abdominal pain, or the elderly weak and dizzy.

I'd rather see these all day than 22 year old females with "arm numbness" or young guys with chest pain.

Veers I think that is his point- they are easy dispos but are probably unnecessary utilization of ED resources.