DIRECT linkage postbac programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zippitydoodoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which postbac programs provide the option of going directly into med-school WITHOUT THE "GLIDE YEAR?"

I AM NOT ASKING WHICH POSTBAC PROGRAMS HAVE LINKAGE PROGRAMS. I am asking which have linkages that allow you to skip the glide year and go straight into med-school.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

I thought that is what a linkage program is :confused: ? At least all programs I looked into have the linkage without the glide year.

Goucher and Bryn Mawr come to mind for me. I think UPenn and Drexel have some too.

I suggest you lurk in the Post-Bacc forum as that is the more suitable place for your question.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, I've reread the Goucher website and you've set me straight. I did not realize that linkage programs allowed you to skip the glide year. I thought the linkage programs simply meant you would be viewed as a favorable applicant or something. Great news! Thanks.

All linkage programs allow you to skip the glide year. Some schools with linkage:

UPenn
Tufts
Scripps
Bryn Mawr
Goucher

Creighton has a program where if you get over a certain GPA in the program you can attend their med or dental school, whichever you choose. Thing is you have to be a URM/disadvantaged to get in, I believe.

I guess now my question is, how is this possible? Do these med-schools accept you conditionally and assume you'll perform well on the MCAT and in your prereqs? What if you got in through the linkage, then decided to be lax on the MCAT b/c you were already admitted?

I guess now my question is, how is this possible? Do these med-schools accept you conditionally and assume you'll perform well on the MCAT and in your prereqs? What if you got in through the linkage, then decided to be lax on the MCAT b/c you were already admitted?

At Scripps, GW's linkage program requires that you be conditionally accepted after an interview in late august or early september, maintain a 3.5 GPA in the program, and obtain a 9 on each section of the MCAT.

Pitt's program requires a 3.75 GPA in the program and a 33 overall on the MCAT.

I don't know how Drexel/Temple's programs work, but I imagine they're closer to GW than Pitt in terms of scores/grades.

Drexel reserves 4 spots in the med school for the PMED class. You receive conditional acceptance and must achieve a 27 with nothing lower then a 9 or a 30 with nothing lower then an 8 to keep your acceptance.

Drexel also has a linkage with Robert Wood Johnson med school of UMDNJ. No set amount of spots for that, and no minimum MCAT score although you still must take it.

Both linkages allow you to skip the glide year although you can only apply to one of them.

I don't believe there are open houses for the PMED program. If you have questions PM me.

Students in the Temple Post-bacc program have the chance to link. You must get above a 3.5 gpa in the summer (gen chem I/II) and the fall (Orgo I, Phys I, Bio I) and then you'll be invited to apply in Jan for a chance to link. Pretty much you need a 30 on the MCATs and keep up your gpa.

This is at least how it worked in 2005-2006.