Direct PLUS vs Grad PLUS vs Private Loan

Started by phungy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

phungy

Account Terminated
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I need some advice on which to go with.

Direct PLUS has:
- fixed 7.9% interest rate
- 10-25 yr repayment
- 0.25% reduction with automatic electronic debit option
- 6 month grace period
- capitalization (unpaid interest will be added to unpaid principal)
- not sure about origination and default fees

Grad PLUS has:
- fixed 8.5% interest rate
- 3% origination fee
- 1% default fee
- 6 month grace period
- 10 year repayment
- 0.25% auto debit reward
- does not capitalize according to discover rep

Private Loan through Discover:
- 8.5% (3.25+5.25 for me)
- zero origination fee
- 9 month grace period
- 20 year repayment
- 2% graduation reward
- 0.25% auto debit reward
- does not capitalize according to discover rep

I went with private loan last year since it was only 6.25% then but now that its gone up I'm leaning towards Grad PLUS and Direct PLUS. Any advice on which option would be the best?
 
Are you considering IBR or loan forgiveness programs after graduation? If so, I would steer away from private loans since you cannot consolidate it nor can it be forgiven.


I need some advice on which to go with.

Direct PLUS has:
- fixed 7.9% interest rate
- 10-25 yr repayment
- 0.25% reduction with automatic electronic debit option
- 6 month grace period
- capitalization (unpaid interest will be added to unpaid principal)
- not sure about origination and default fees

Grad PLUS has:
- fixed 8.5% interest rate
- 3% origination fee
- 1% default fee
- 6 month grace period
- 10 year repayment
- 0.25% auto debit reward
- does not capitalize according to discover rep

Private Loan through Discover:
- 8.5% (3.25+5.25 for me)
- zero origination fee
- 9 month grace period
- 20 year repayment
- 2% graduation reward
- 0.25% auto debit reward
- does not capitalize according to discover rep

I went with private loan last year since it was only 6.25% then but now that its gone up I'm leaning towards Grad PLUS and Direct PLUS. Any advice on which option would be the best?
 
I am considering IBR actually. I've narrowed my choices down to Grad Plus and Direct Plus but will most likely go with Direct.