Medical Student
-

Last edited:

sovereign0

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2014
Status
Medical Student
You could use more clinical experience, both shadowing and volunteering. The hospital volunteering is good, continue that if possible. Medical mission trips aren't typically considered good clinical experience. I would recommend using your EMT license and getting a job in healthcare. EMT is a great thing to have, but it doesn't do you any favors if you don't use it.

Clinical experience is absolutely essential. Even if someone has perfect stats, they need to be able to show that the have worked with patients and know that a career in medicine is right for them.

The MCAT is also extremely important. Your GPA is a little low for MD schools (the upward trend helps some), so a great MCAT score could alleviate some concerns about your ability to handle medical school. I wouldn't be doing anything other than studying for the MCAT until I was certain I could handle some other stuff without my score suffering for it.

I think you could be ready to apply in 2016 if you can build up your experiences, in addition to continuing your research and other present experiences where possible. Your MCAT score will also be a big factor.

Reactions: NotWayneBrady
OP
3member

3member

MS2
2+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2015
Status
Medical Student
-

Last edited: