Directions out of Burn Out Central?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snorfelkack

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lately I've been feeling...bad. It's been a long year and I feel like I'm on the cusp of giving up. The year in review: Major surgery that involved complications and prolonged recovery time, hospitalization for severe pneumonia, the death of my dog, my boyfriend starting his EM residency, the unexpected death of my boyfriend's mom, the NEAR death of MY mother which resulted in a 3 month hospital stay and me moving back in to take care of her. These were all just...freak things that could not have been foreseen.

I'm just tired. So tired. I'm lacking motivation even though I need to keep on top of my studies. I took W's in my classes this semester when my mom was in ICU, because I knew that she need my care if she lived or need me to sort her affairs if she didn't. Even with the "time off" I feel that I need to be on top of my work, doing early prep for the MCAT, etc

But when I think about the prospect of going back to school (in the fall) and going on to medical school...I just want to drop out of life and be a trophy wife.

I need to get back on track. I need to become motivated again. You guys know the school work involved. What can I do to help get back to where I need to be?

Any tips and tricks are GREATLY appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

get laid (srs) helps

Reactions: 1 users
Lately I've been feeling...bad. It's been a long year and I feel like I'm on the cusp of giving up. The year in review: Major surgery that involved complications and prolonged recovery time, hospitalization for severe pneumonia, the death of my dog, my boyfriend starting his EM residency, the unexpected death of my boyfriend's mom, the NEAR death of MY mother which resulted in a 3 month hospital stay and me moving back in to take care of her. These were all just...freak things that could not have been foreseen.

I'm just tired. So tired. I'm lacking motivation even though I need to keep on top of my studies. I took W's in my classes this semester when my mom was in ICU, because I knew that she need my care if she lived or need me to sort her affairs if she didn't. Even with the "time off" I feel that I need to be on top of my work, doing early prep for the MCAT, etc

But when I think about the prospect of going back to school (in the fall) and going on to medical school...I just want to drop out of life and be a trophy wife.

I need to get back on track. I need to become motivated again. You guys know the school work involved. What can I do to help get back to where I need to be?

Any tips and tricks are GREATLY appreciated.

ignore laughingfrog she/he is a troll, I noticed this person posting on several forums trolling.

You do not have to be a trophy wife (although that sounds fun) because the experience you have makes you stronger and with hard work to improve yourself you will get into medical school

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sympathetic to your situation. You've gone through a lot in a short amount of time. You will have a lot of opportunities to explain your W's.

What did it for me was studying abroad away from all the hassles of life, and then taking a gap year to do things I want to do and to rest. Forget about medical school until you're ready. When that time comes, you'll have the strength and experience to be prepared to try your best in medical school.

ignore laughingfrog she/he is a troll, I noticed this person posting on several forums trolling.

You do not have to be a trophy wife (although that sounds fun) because the experience you have makes you stronger and with hard work to improve yourself you will get into medical school

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not a troll of any kind.

I'm sympathetic to your situation. You've gone through a lot in a short amount of time. You will have a lot of opportunities to explain your W's.

What did it for me was studying abroad away from all the hassles of life, and then taking a gap year to do things I want to do and to rest. Forget about medical school until you're ready. When that time comes, you'll have the strength and experience to be prepared to try your best in medical school.

I appreciate your empathy, I think I may indeed need a vacation.

I don't think your issues are with school as much with life.

I strongly suggest you take a trip (even a weekend) and go somewhere and do something fun. Maybe something you've always wanted to.

Reactions: 1 users
Take a year off. It helps. Find some hobby, take care of your mom and do what you want to do. Taking a year off might reenergize you.

the fall is a long way off, and from a medical standpoint, simple burn out or uncomplicated depression (situational) can very well be resolved by then
however, I agree to make you feel better psychologically, give yourself permission to take off the time you need, you don't *have* to go next year

not trying to give medical advice here, as I do not know YOUR whole medical picture, just saying based solely on what's in your post, it is reasonable to think you can get out of of burn out central by Fall classes

First, I think you might benefit from seeing your PCP. If *they* recommend psychotherapy & medication, seriously consider following through on their recommendation

Second, if there are any responsibilities in your life draining you right now that you can afford to say no to, then feel free to say no to them. Keep in mind if you are depressed/burnt out some people still need things outside them as responsibilities to help them keep moving/feeling connected. A lot of non-paid activities if you tell them you need a break for medical/personal reasons but would like to come back by X date, will let you! There's a relief. If they won't and it's not something you can afford backburnering sure, just saying it's OK to try to get less on your plate.

WELLNESS
This is basic lifestyle advice I don't think violates TOS
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-should-i-proceed.1162787/#post-16954878
you have to scroll up one for my post on self care
I'm going to rewrite my advice here, all of this it would be best to cover with your personal medical providers

I just read something by Dr, Pamela Wible on KevinMD to a med student experiencing burn out
she makes a point that with burn out, "feeling numb", getting back into your body is important
she recommends weekly massage for getting back in touch with your body / relax
also, I'll agree with the troll - sex can be a good thing here, if that's too much, affection.
Make a point of getting a hug a day.

I recommend psycheducation.org Dr. Phelps' website, it is aimed at bipolar but he talks about blue light's effect on sleep which I find valuable, and most of my lifestyle advice for sleep & blue light is based off his site, he cites lots of research

1) routine, especially sleep
don't know how much the bf hurts/helps with that given his EM residency schedule
until you're better, I would recommend taking whatever steps to ensure your sleep hygiene is good, even if that means you two sleep separate (studies show people physically have worse sleep quality with a partner, but subjective rating of quality is higher, so it's up to you what will be best for how you are doing). Remember, you don't have to sleep together to sleep together.
same wake time, same sleep time, *even on weekends,* allot enough hours. if you can avoid fighting your natural rhythm (morning lark vs night owl) that would be good
cool, dark room free of pets
if needed, invest in darkening shades perhaps, that will block out the light that might wake you in the am, but you could invest in a sunrise simulator (you can even just plug a lamp into a cheap timer) with a daylight spectrum bulb, if this conflicts with bf, consider a facemask
cut out electronics or tone down the blue light with apps like f.lux after the sun goes down
2) don't skip a good breakfast
3) don't go hungry, eat healthy
4) no caffeine within 8 hours of sleep, or after 2-4 pm, some people find they get a midday "slump" from caffeine and feel better cutting it out entirely. If you drink regularly and are going to try to cut it out, anticipate possible headache and have a plan with your provider possibly including an OTC med like tylenol or ibuprofen
5) with consultation of a physician consider melatonin if needed, less is more with dosage, main side effect can be freaky nightmares which often levels out, risk is that it *can* worsen depression in some but that's rare, it can have a paradoxical effect at high doses (meaning opposite to intended effect) so always start low go slow. don't use herbs for medical purposes without talking to your primary care provider.
6) drink more water, this is easier to do *with* food, but just carrying some around with you can help encourage intake. To encourage myself to drink water (I'm picky) I invested in a Brita filter, make ice using that water, and drink out of a large glass mason jar with lid so my cat can't knock it over (she loves to!). You can also do herbal unsweetened tea. There is no magic number but I aim for 2L a day. Most of us, especially caffeine/soda drinkers, walk around chronically dehydrated, eventually the feedback loop regulating this will turn off your thirst drive, so initially you may have to "force" yourself to drink water, you will adjust
7) cut out all alcohol for now. if you go out with friends, there are plenty of things you can ask to have "virgin." if your friends ask and you don't want to explain, just say you're on a "cleanse" or some hippy thing. I buy non-caffeinated root beer in glass bottles so I still get the "treat" / psychosocial aspect of drinking without the alcohol at home. Soda isn't ideal but it's a better choice to substitute for a weekend beer on your porch if you are struggling with mental health
8) no marijuana. Really, no marijuana. If giving up these things bums you out, just remember it's temporary. In my opinion, booze & MJ don't help feelings of burn out. A single stressful day? Maybe, but burnout, no. goes without saying, none of the other street drugs either. Really.
9) I personally see benefit to a multivitamin although I can't say the studies are dramatically behind me. Data is mixed but particularly look into vitamin D (90% of us tested above a certain parallel in the US test deficient, don't just rely on the summer to replenish you), consider fish oil too, Costco enteric coated from Amazon is cheap, keep in freezer to avoid fish burps, the most common side effect. Talk about iron with your doctor and be sure to include good dietary sources.
10) Exercise but I know that can be hard, even just getting 10 minutes of walking a day more than what you're doing now, a brisk walk. Stretching/yoga!! Netflix has some programs so you can do it from home, or YouTube videos, even just pictures online. Stretching by Bob Anderson is my fave resource for home stretching. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=stretching,+bob+anderson&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=28618117647&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=491951793333905093&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_79e40b5ucp_e
A foam roller does amazing things for my neck, back, IT band. There are large ones and travel sized ones. A TheraCane is a nice way to make love to yourself.
11) If you can sit by a window with a view, maybe with a little plant or beta fish to keep you company, sunlight, having plants/pets life that depends on you helps. Gardening, even just a few potted plants.
12) Time with nature, maybe go to the zoo or aquarium. Sometimes just looking at the animals at Petsmart cheers me up
13) I suggest looking into Adult Children of Alcoholics/Dysfunctional families, you can google them and see if that fits you or might be helpful, even if you don't think it reading my post at least check out the website
14) Look into meditation, mindfulness techniques, guided meditation, relaxing music, biofeedback programs
15) Daily rituals like hot tub, warm bath, candles, incense, herbal tea, aromatherapy
16) Read some comics everyday, something to make you laugh. xkcd is one online example.
17) More ambitious: swimming, camping, hiking, beach, river, bike riding, even just day trips, scenic drives
18) Google Thich Nhat Han. I've found a lot of his writings very inspirational.

When I get really depressed/burnt out, I start at the top of this list, and try to slowly work down it as I can. Doing it all at once can be too much. But as you add each step of wellness and feel better, it gets easier to add another

In my opinion, the best thing for burn out is to basically stop doing/worrying about as much as I can, and start over with self care. Maslow's hierarchy, start with the biological like sleep & food, and work up to pleasurable low stress activities

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users