Director of Pharm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wes1015

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know what schooling and things you have to go through to be a pharm director, also what is required to work for those drug making companies? im currently pre-pharm and want to know what i have to do

Members don't see this ad.

Most DOP positions only require a PharmD or a BSPharm, but some positions may require additional qualifications like a MBA/MPA. If your ultimate goal is upper management, I would recommend a dual degree like the PharmD/MBA or MPA. Its not necessarily a requirement but it would definitely help a lot.

thanks, I see you are also pursuing this(your sig), will i need to also take residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think some of the bigger hospitals require residency to be DOP. This is just my observation from some of the job postings.

DOP is a thankless job..

reading the first post it looks like the OP is actually asking about drug companies (manufacturing) rather than DOP at a hospital.

reading the first post it looks like the OP is actually asking about drug companies (manufacturing) rather than DOP at a hospital.

im talking about both hospital and drug companies

Concept of "pharm director" does not apply to drug companies. Unless you use it in a meaning I cannot comprehend.

I don't think you understand what im staying, I want to work for a drug company OR be a director of pharm @ a hospital

I don't think you understand what im staying, I want to work for a drug company OR be a director of pharm @ a hospital
I don't think you understand what you're saying. DOPs have to fight off drug reps, because most of the reps' products aren't on the hospital formularies for good reason.
So basically, what you're saying is that you want to be one extreme or the other.

I hate to rehash cliches, but GO STUDY. I study off and on all day long, so if you want to get into pharmacy school and become a student, you need to make better use of yourself. Also, you need to have a better understanding of the different branches within the profession before you can narrow down your choices like that, which will take time and experience.