Disability insurance for orthodontists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmc12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering how necessary it was to get disability insurance as an orthodontist? I'm currently a general dentist but will start orthodontics residency next summer. I currently pay 130 a month for I believe 4200 a month coverage. I've talked to some dentists and they said to get another policy for more coverage

Members don't see this ad.

If you owe a lot in student loan and you don’t want to be a burden for your spouse/kids , then you should have disability insurance. As soon as my wife and I paid off our student loans, we cancelled my wife’s policy. I can work to support my wife if she can’t work. I still keep mine. I bought the insurance when I was a 2nd year resident and I currently pay $1700/year for a $5k/month coverage.

Reactions: 1 user
I've had my personal disability policy since day 1 after graduating. I've paid into it too long to give it up. I pay about $1200/month for around $5000/mos coverage. Guardian policy that was recently purchased by Bershire Ins. Co.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
$130/mo for $4200 is cheap. If you are the sole provider, it's probably prudent to buy more. I wound up as a disabled orthodontist unfortunately quite young. If you have questions or doubts, message me.

I've had my personal disability policy since day 1 after graduating. I've paid into it too long to give it up. I pay about $1200/month for around $5000/mos coverage. Guardian policy that was recently purchased by Bershire Ins. Co.[/QUOTe
This has to be a mistake (typo), you are not paying $1,200 per month for $5,000 of monthly benefit? Usually you pay between 2-4% in premiums for the annual benefit of the policy. On $60,000 of annual benefit the cost should be around $1200 per year or $100 per month. If in fact you are paying $1200 per month for $5,000 per month of benefit you need to shop that around.

Hi, I've graduated a few years and started to look into buy disability insurance. So far, Mass Mutual offers me the cheapest individual policy, around $300/month premium for 5k/month benefit, because they have this "unisex discount" rate going on. Anyone knows if there might be any catch in going for an "unisex discount"?

I’m actually interested in buying disability insurance as a dental student if that’s even possible. Does anyone here have any company they recommend for this?

Hi, I've graduated a few years and started to look into buy disability insurance. So far, Mass Mutual offers me the cheapest individual policy, around $300/month premium for 5k/month benefit, because they have this "unisex discount" rate going on. Anyone knows if there might be any catch in going for an "unisex discount"?
$300 sounds really high, we usually see a price point of around $25 per month per $1,000 of benefit assuming you are in good health and early 30's.

I’m actually interested in buying disability insurance as a dental student if that’s even possible. Does anyone here have any company they recommend for this?
Your school probably has a relationship already formed with one of the big 6 carriers so check that out. Most likely you will be limited to about $1,000 to $1,500 as a student so you know thus getting some increase options will be important.