Disadvantage as a reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get some advice on reapplying to pathology after I failed to match radiology this year. I’m from a lower-mid tier MD school. Worked as histotech in the past and performed IHC in a research lab during med school and should have 1 pub from that this year.

Step 1: 235-240
Step 2: 245-250

I honestly don’t know what I was thinking applying to radiology. If anyone has any insight about my chances to match this cycle, I would love to hear your opinion. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m doing a transitional year.
Get some pathology exposure during your TY if you can so you can speak about pathology without trying to bs your way into a program. You should be fine if you truly like pathology and don’t have any personality disorder….but remember to get that path exposure!

Reactions: 1 users
Get some pathology exposure during your TY if you can so you can speak about pathology without trying to bs your way into a program. You should be fine if you truly like pathology and don’t have any personality disorder….but remember to get that path exposure!
I will! I’m going to reach out to the pathologists I used to work with as well.

Do you think I have a shot at programs in larger cities? At the end of the day, I need a job but I want to live somewhere that’s fun for me if I can help it.

I will! I’m going to reach out to the pathologists I used to work with as well.

Do you think I have a shot at programs in larger cities? At the end of the day, I need a job but I want to live somewhere that’s fun for me if I can help it.
It’s going to depend on your path experience during this coming year. Do 2-3 months of pathology (surgpath/cytopath/heme), so you can speak about your experience during interviews. You stand a good chance. It just depends on how you convey your interest in your personal statement and interviews. If you are sincere in your interest, enthusiastic and have a good attitude you should be fine. If you are a douche or got personality issues, no one can help you. You will also need to explain why the change of heart from radiology to pathology.

Last edited:
It’s going to depend on your path experience during this coming year. Do 2-3 months of pathology (surgpath/cytopath/heme), so you can speak about your experience during interviews. You stand a good chance. It just depends on how you convey your interest in your personal statement and interviews. If you are sincere in your interest, enthusiastic and have a good attitude you should be fine. If you are a douche or got personality issues, no one can help you. You will also explain why the change of heart from radiology to pathology.
That’s good news! Thanks for your insight!!

Does the program your doing your transitional year have a pathology residency? Are there elective months?

Yes, it has a residency and 3 elective months
You could also just make yourself known to the pathology department there. Look at peripheral smears on your patients with interesting findings. Follow up on biopsies, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Univlad hit it 100%. If you’re a regular person, you’re golden.

Reactions: 1 user
You could also just make yourself known to the pathology department there. Look at peripheral smears on your patients with interesting findings. Follow up on biopsies, etc.
That’s really helpful. I’m going to do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone! This was great advice
If you think you stand a chance getting into Radiology or your heart is set on Radiology, I would go for it. Do research with a program director or Chair if you have to.

I’m a pathologist in practice for a few years and am having a hard time finding jobs near me. Then I just saw multiple rads jobs online for 550K (total compensation) in my city.

Yeah it sucks but I still think job market is terrible regionally, moreso if you are closer to a city with multiple training programs (in my opinion).

Six years of training and a few years of experience and I know of maybe 3-4 jobs nearby. I just hope I can land one of them.

Jobs around here, which are few, are based off “who you know”.

Just had to vent.

Yours truly,

-a jaded frustrated pathologist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
What personality disorders are you talking about? I have seen multiple comments regarding this personality issue thing in pathology forum. I'm really curious to know.

If you think you stand a chance getting into Radiology or your heart is set on Radiology, I would go for it. Do research with a program director or Chair if you have to.

I’m a pathologist in practice for a few years and am having a hard time finding jobs near me. Then I just saw multiple rads jobs online for 550K (total compensation) in my city.

Yeah it sucks but I still think job market is terrible regionally, moreso if you are closer to a city with multiple training programs (in my opinion).

Six years of training and a few years of experience and I know of maybe 3-4 jobs nearby. I just hope I can land one of them.

Jobs around here, which are few, are based off “who you know”.

Just had to vent.

Yours truly,

-a jaded frustrated pathologist.
Just wanted to echo MetroPath's feelings here - same thing happened to me and several of my co-residents in a big metro areas.

Just wanted to echo MetroPath's feelings here - same thing happened to me and several of my co-residents in a big metro areas.
I applied to rads first for this reason but I like pathology more. I just have to put my best foot forward from now on.

Good luck with your job search! I hope you land something in a city you like.

What personality disorders are you talking about? I have seen multiple comments regarding this personality issue thing in pathology forum. I'm really curious to know.
They are not implying an actual DSM dx. More so, how does someone come across in an interview or social setting. In these “immediate impression “ situations, does the person come across as arrogant, withdrawn, completely inarticulate, manipulative, etc. Just expand on this small list. If you are perceived as a “regular guy/gal” in your initial interview/social contacts, you have passed this hurdle.

I have a pretty bad stutter when I’m nervous. But I’m overall very friendly.

I’ve been wondering if I should tell the interviewer this at the start of the interview.

Just my advice: I wouldn’t say anything upfront. If you find yourself stuttering, pause, pleasantly smile and say something to the effect of “I’m sorry, but i sometimes struggle with a stutter when i’m stressed. It’s slowly improved over the years but still takes work.”
If that’s it, only an a**h*** would ding you. And you wouldn’t want to be associated with them.

Reactions: 4 users
Just my advice: I wouldn’t say anything upfront. If you find yourself stuttering, pause, pleasantly smile and say something to the effect of “I’m sorry, but i sometimes struggle with a stutter when i’m stressed. It’s slowly improved over the years but still takes work.”
If that’s it, only an a**h*** would ding you. And you wouldn’t want to be associated with them.
Will do. Thank you

It’s not only me either. Talked to others who had few choices when looking for a job when they were regionally restricted. These weren’t even large cities either like NY, Chicago, LA, etc. The only job availability was at, you guessed it, an academic center which pays low but I guess that’s the price you pay to become a pathologist.

I had another friend who’s only job, which she took, was a 6 days a week 10 hour workday. No joke.

These were pathologists whose significant other were restricted to a certain city for work, so they had to take what they could get.

From my job search a few years ago and now, I’ve noticed a few hospital based jobs that were stationed away from larger cities at a hospital that none of the senior pathologists in the group were stationed at (you wonder why). The senior pathologists in the group were all at the bigger city and the available job was 2 hours away or in a rural area that needed coverage (that of course no one else in the group wanted to be at).

These were crummy jobs, to me, but then again can be an ok job to someone who could live anywhere.

Last edited:
My advisor told me being a reapplicant was a red flag. Can anyone offer advice on which programs to target?

My advisor told me being a reapplicant was a red flag. Can anyone offer advice on which programs to target?
Of course low tier and mid tier programs. Yes it’s a red flag in that people will think you are doing Path as a backdrop unfortunately.

Of course low tier and mid tier programs. Yes it’s a red flag in that people will think you are doing Path as a backdrop unfortunately.
That’s a tough pill to swallow. I just needed someone else to say it.