disadvantage status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gust

Peace be unto you.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know for a fact that I fall into this category, but I feel that I shouldn't declare as disadvantage. I don't want to be accepted into medical school because of pity, but rather I want my merit to be the reason for acceptance. Any advice?

I'm not disadvantaged, so I don't have this option. I applaud you for the thought you put into this, but I think its always wise to use whatever you have in your favor. It might not be a system that everyone agrees with, but this is how medical school applications work these days and they put it on there for a reason.

I'm not disadvantaged, so I don't have this option. I applaud you for the thought you put into this, but I think its always wise to use whatever you have in your favor. It might not be a system that everyone agrees with, but this is how medical school applications work these days and they put it on there for a reason.

I see. I'm going to continue to think about this since I'll be submitting my app. by June 7. Thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you have your mind made up. Stupid move on your part though. The point of admitting disadvantaged students is not because they don't have the merit to get in. Instead it's because they are more likely as doctors able to relate with the poor and downtrodden. Also, medicine will give you the opportunity to go up the social ladder, so it's about creating a redistribution of wealth where it matters. And finally, you probably had to go through more problems than the kid whose daddy paid SAT prep and tuition to go to Cornell and then MCAT prep to make it to UCLA.

I never said I made up my mind. If I had made up my mind, I wouldn't have deemed it necessary for me to make this thread. I want to hear people's thoughts on this.

I think you should mark it.

I was reading a similar thread about this and another member put it best: disadvantaged status doesn't make you a charity case. It helps explain a situation that most others - in your same socio-economic situation - would not have overcome. Whatever it is that makes you a disadvantaged student, don't be ashamed. Take pride that you have been able to overcome adversity and place yourself in a situation to be considered by medical schools.

goodluck!

*and i hope you consider becoming a general physician :)

**imo

if you do mark it though, I think it would be smart to be prepared to talk about it during interviews

Last edited:
I know for a fact that I fall into this category, but I feel that I shouldn't declare as disadvantage. I don't want to be accepted into medical school because of pity, but rather I want my merit to be the reason for acceptance. Any advice?
You could easily say the same thing about race. I smell troll.

You could easily say the same thing about race. I smell troll.

You're right. But that is why I didn't specify my race/ethnicity on AMCAS. I chose to leave it blank.

I'm selecting it. I wondered about it for a long time because I also would prefer this whole thing to be done on the basis of merit alone. But I think all it does is help put my merit back on the same level as my peers. It's like a helping hand that puts all my other information through the perspective of my background. I think, ultimately, that can only be a good thing.

One thing that adcoms do like to select on is life experience outside of what is usually listed in the experience section. The experience of growing up in the inner-city, growing up in a Spanish-speaking household, the experience of growing up on a farm or ranch or reservation, or the experience of growing up poor are of interest because people who have had that experience bring that to the table when they interact with classmates thus educating others as well as bringing that point of view to patient care settings.

Everyone now answers the questions about family so whether or not you check the box and provide a little essay, the information about your circumstances are there and are helpful to the adcom as well as to AMCAS which uses the information to analyze admission trends and correlations between socioeconomic status and school performance which has helped to identify in the past, groups of students who need additional support in the form of mentoring and tutoring.