Disadvantaged student status essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have any of you filled out the disadvantaged status essay, and if so how long did you make yours? I'm a minority and a first generation college student, but I'm not entirely sure what to include. The character count is 4500, which is as much as the personal statement. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Make it as long as it needs to be. If you need to use the whole 4500 character count, then use it. You won't be penalized for using the allotted characters count. Write what ever you think makes you disadvantaged.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Make it as long as it needs to be. If you need to use the whole 4500 character count, then use it. You won't be penalized for using the allotted characters count. Write what ever you think makes you disadvantaged.

Should it be crafted similar to a personal statement? For example, an introduction with an attention grabber?

Members don't see this ad :)
Should it be crafted similar to a personal statement? For example, an introduction with an attention grabber?
That is what I did for mine. It allowed me to paint a better picture of my story.

Reactions: 1 user
When I finish, would you or anyone else be willing to give me some feedback? I would really appreciate it!

I am also writing a disadvantaged essay. If you want to swap and give each other feedback i'd be down.

See.... I just wrote like a short summary of all the things that show I was disadvantaged. No real essay. So these replies make me think I should edit that.

I wrote an actual essay. This section really helps those of us who need more space to explain our story without devoting our entire personal statement to it. PS should be about how you can contribute to dentistry and what made you choose dentistry, so make sure you're alluding to things in this essay that you haven't touched upon in your PS. Sometimes difficult circumstances growing up can have a huge impact and they just want to know what you've overcome to get to this moment.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Have any of you filled out the disadvantaged status essay, and if so how long did you make yours? I'm a minority and a first generation college student, but I'm not entirely sure what to include. The character count is 4500, which is as much as the personal statement. Thanks!
I did. I wrote a small paragraph hilighting the many challenges I faced which made me "disadvantaged"

Reactions: 1 users