Disambiguating the exams needed (STEP exams and COMLEX)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc.Junior

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was listening to a DO student speak about his process applying to residencies, and he mentioned that he didn't take STEP 1 but did take COMLEX 1 and 2, plus STEP 2.

Can someone please help me understand why you'd need STEP 1 and 2 as a DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's COMLEX, not COMPLEX.

Because many program directors are not familiar with comlex, and would prefer seeing that a student can display minimum competency by passing step one.

Step two is more of a necessity because it is still scored

Oops, thanks.

How normal is it for DOs that want a good residency to be taking STEP 2 (and now, given the P/F changes, STEP 1)? Would you say it's like, a given/standard for anyone who wants a residency outside of the AOA-derived ones?

Members don't see this ad :)
How normal is it for DOs that want a good residency to be taking STEP 2 (and now, given the P/F changes, STEP 1)? Would you say it's like, a given/standard for anyone who wants a residency outside of the AOA-derived ones?

Very. Yes it is expected for you to take Step, despite what some school advisors say.

Reactions: 2 users
Oops, thanks.

Yes. It's expected, actually. PDs are using Step 2 scores as a screening tool in the absence of Step 1 scores.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the information. A few follow-up questions, please:
  • Is it acceptable to skip STEP1 now then and still be fine for good residencies?
  • Wondering further what my "level 1 exam" options are... what about skipping COMLEX1 and just doing STEP1? Is that acceptable, and if so, any important ramifications there? (E.g., would an AOA residency frown on you if you didn't do COMLEX)?
(PS: sorry, @Goro what's PD please?)

• Is it acceptable to skip STEP1 now then and still be fine for good residencies?
Likely not
  • Wondering further what my "level 1 exam" options are... what about skipping COMLEX1 and just doing STEP1? Is that acceptable, and if so, any important ramifications there? (E.g., would an AOA residency frown on you if you didn't do COMLEX)?
COMLEX is a REQUIREMENT for graduation for a DO school. There is no getting around this.
PD = Program Director

Reactions: 1 user

Realistically only about 50% of DO students take Step. It’s not ideal not to take it, but it’s not required. It makes your app less competitive but if you are worried about not passing, it’s better to have no Step than a Step failure.

As a DO, you cannot skip COMLEX, just like an MD can’t skip Step. It’s our licensing exam. You either take COMLEX and Step, or COMLEX only.

Reactions: 2 users
Realistically only about 50% of DO students take Step. It’s not ideal not to take it, but it’s not required. It makes your app less competitive but if you are worried about not passing, it’s better to have no Step than a Step failure.

As a DO, you cannot skip COMLEX, just like an MD can’t skip Step. It’s our licensing exam. You either take COMLEX and Step, or COMLEX only.
This is the tweet

It does get more nuanced for certain specialties but essentially if you have a good shot at passing it then take it

To add to this and answer the question of “why can’t they just convert my COMLEX score to a step equivalent?” Having taken both, COMLEX is a poorly written exam and it can’t be reasonably compared

To add to this and answer the question of “why can’t they just convert my COMLEX score to a step equivalent?” Having taken both, COMLEX is a poorly written exam and it can’t be reasonably compared
Great... so, would you say studying for USMLE and then adding the OMM stuff is a decent way to prepare, or did you do something differently to deal with that "poorly written" COMLEX?

Great... so, would you say studying for USMLE and then adding the OMM stuff is a decent way to prepare, or did you do something differently to deal with that "poorly written" COMLEX?
That’s still the best way. And ultimately it doesn’t matter a ton. It’s very rare to fail COMLEX if you do well on step