Osteopathic Medical School Rankings Based on Residency Matches and COMLEX Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frosted411

Reaction score
Dear Friends,
There is not a definitive ranking on D.O. Medical Schools, especially not based on the above factors. I have 5 II to DO schools so far and I sense there will be choices between these and as we go on in the process there will be even more difficult decisions to make. My interest is in Anesthesiology/General Surgery so I would like to place in a competitive residency in these fields. In order to do so, I will need high COMLEX/USMLE scores, research opportunities, and clinical hours. In your humble opinion, based on any statistics, articles, etc. you have seen...please let me know what the top 5 institutions are based on Residency matches in competitive fields and high board scores. Thank you for any input you may have. Please try to cite any sources if possible and try to be detailed in your explanation. This will hopefully help not only me, but others who come across this post. Your input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the original 5 DO schools are often the most well-known, and they consistently match well. This includes:
ATSU-KCOM
DMU
KCU-COM
CCOM
PCOM

In addition, a lot of the schools with an undergrad campus tend to have reputable names (ie Ohio U, Michigan St, North Texas).
And I think the PD rankings give voice to this. r/premed - Complete ranking of medical schools (MD & DO) by residency director scores (**2021 USNWR Residency PD scores**)

According to that list,
DMU
Ohio U
Oklahoma St
TCOM
UNECOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
PCOM
CCOM

Last edited:
I think the original 5 DO schools are often the most well-known, and they consistently match well. This includes:
ATSU-KCOM
DMU
KCU-COM
CCOM
PCOM

In addition, a lot of the schools with an undergrad campus tend to have reputable names (ie Ohio U, Michigan St, North Texas).
And I think the PD rankings give voice to this. r/premed - Complete ranking of medical schools (MD & DO) by residency director scores (**2021 USNWR Residency PD scores**)

According to that list,
DMU
Ohio U
Oklahoma St
TCOM
UNECOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
PCOM
CCOM

Where would you rank - ACOM and LUCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where would you rank - ACOM and LUCOM?
Both are fairly new schools and will, inevitably, rank towards the bottom. That being said, when I interviewed at ACOM, I thought it was beautiful and well put-together (outshining some of the MD schools I interviewed at like Drexel). LUCOM gets some bad publicity, but I’m not exactly sure why. But the undergrad president being forced to step down certainly doesn’t look good.

Reactions: 1 user
So here is my thinking, and I would like for you to correct me where I am wrong, please. Because I want to walk you through my thought process with choosing a medical school.

Goal: Get into general surgery residency
How?: Get certain amount of research publications, community outreach (like a community clinic), get super high scores on the COMLEX and USMLE, have 2 strong leadership roles (through an organization or start a community outreach program), and get good marks in med school.
How could I do that?: Go to a school that has high tech facilities and faculty that could assist me/guide me on how to acquire some of these things.

ACOM: Oh look here, there is a high tech anatomy lab that will really help me with my first year developing my basic science and anatomy knowledge....oh look a nice research room....blah blah blah.

So if I ask ACOM what is their Mean COMLEX score, and lets just say for sake of argument it is in the 85% mark (I am sure I am way off but still just an example). Additionally, I recognize that they have nice facilities...how would I go about putting them at the bottom of the list?

I of course have the same thought process about LUCOM, but also that it would present opportunities for me to succeed as a small school that would have lots of student-faculty interaction and the opportunity to tackle these small research projects without competing for spots with my peers. And I would also have the ability to start community outreach or leadership positions because I wouldn't be fighting for those sorts of positions amongst a sea of other students.

My MAIN goal is to correct my thinking, so to use your thinking and others to guide how I should be thinking about what medical school is best. I did apply to CCOM and PCOM which are supposed to be top tier but I am not sure if I will get an interview to those schools. Right now I have an interview for 5 schools: UIWSOM, LECOM (Bradenton), ACOM, LUCOM, and CUSOM. I am sure I will get more interviews but as the acceptances come in I want to make the best decision, obviously. Thank you for your time :)

Perhaps @Goro would be a better resource for you. Ultimately, though, when it comes to DO schools, there is no real “prestige” difference between schools. So attend whichever one you feel the best at and where you think you can accomplish your goals (as long as it isn’t on Goro’s list of no-nos). That being said, going to a less competitive school doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t have to fight people for leadership or research experiences. On the contrary, many students may be hyper-aware that they are coming from a less competitive school and want to boost their resume like you.

Dear Friends,
There is not a definitive ranking on D.O. Medical Schools, especially not based on the above factors. I have 5 II to DO schools so far and I sense there will be choices between these and as we go on in the process there will be even more difficult decisions to make. My interest is in Anesthesiology/General Surgery so I would like to place in a competitive residency in these fields. In order to do so, I will need high COMLEX/USMLE scores, research opportunities, and clinical hours. In your humble opinion, based on any statistics, articles, etc. you have seen...please let me know what the top 5 institutions are based on Residency matches in competitive fields and high board scores. Thank you for any input you may have. Please try to cite any sources if possible and try to be detailed in your explanation. This will hopefully help not only me, but others who come across this post. Your input is appreciated.

Thanks!
Ask five people, you're going to get six different answers.

I have a high regard for
CCOM
PCOM
Touro.CA
My school ( of course)
TCOM
CUSOM
KCU
Western

Older schools >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>newest schools.

Reactions: 3 users
Ask five people, you're going to get six different answers.

I have a high regard for
CCOM
PCOM
Touro.CA
My school ( of course)
TCOM
CUSOM
KCU
Western

Older schools >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>newest schools.

You're school is TCOM?
Hmmm you like CUSOM? I got an interview there but I was weakly considering it because of it's location. Can you tell me some more of your thoughts about CUSOM?

You're school is TCOM?

I never said that.

Hmmm you like CUSOM? I got an interview there but I was weakly considering it because of it's location. Can you tell me some more of your thoughts about CUSOM?

Excellent match list for a newish school. Downsides are required lecture attendance.

How?: Get certain amount of research publications,

Good

community outreach (like a community clinic)

Won't do much for Gen Surg

get super high scores on the COMLEX and USMLE

Doing well on the COMLEX will help for former AOA programs. However, Step 1 will very likely be P/F beginning with my cohort (c/o '24), thus it will almost certainly be P/F for your class. Given that ACGME residencies hardly even know what the COMLEX is, your research/LORs will matter much more for them. It's still unclear how exactly the Step 1 transition will affect DO matches at competitive specialties - I doubt there will be significant changes. But either way your best bet will be shooting for a former AOA program.

have 2 strong leadership roles (through an organization or start a community outreach program), and get good marks in med school.

These would help but not nearly as much as research/stellar LORs from PD's.

How could I do that?: Go to a school that has high tech facilities and faculty that could assist me/guide me on how to acquire some of these things.

High tech facilities or toys won't help at all - all the new DO's have them. What will matter is 1. accessibility to high quality research, 2. networking with general surgery residencies, either at your school (rare for DO programs), or in the same city. 3. Doing a bunch of away rotations, killing them, and getting stellar LORs in the process.

With that being said, IMO the best DO schools are the public ones, simply because most of them have better research output than the smaller, private DO schools and some even sponsor their own residencies. To name a few, TCOM, MSU, OSU, OUHCOM, etc. If you're really serious about this, I'd recommend talking with @AnatomyGrey12 or @DNC127, who are well versed in that topic. @DNC127 made a great topic recently in the DO students subforum about how he put together a phenomenal Ortho application and subsequently matched this past cycle.

OK state, PCOM, MSU, TCOM, Rowan? CCOM? OU-com? are above all else.

Basically, If a school doesn’t have their own residencies in pretty much all fields, research, and if they send their students to multiple states for rotations they are not in the same category. TCOM is up there because the other Texas residencies view them as pretty much equal.

this rings even more true in light of pass fail usmle and expanding DO schools/class sizes.

If schools don’t have the opportunity to get students involved with residency programs early and do research To start getting the letters and CV required of someone wanting to do a competitive specialty it is going to be very very tough in the coming years.

thays my take.

Reactions: 4 users
OK state, PCOM, MSU, TCOM, Rowan? CCOM? OU-com? are above all else.

Basically, If a school doesn’t have their own residencies in pretty much all fields, research, and if they send their students to multiple states for rotations they are not in the same category. TCOM is up there because the other Texas residencies view them as pretty much equal.

this rings even more true in light of pass fail usmle and expanding DO schools/class sizes.

If schools don’t have the opportunity to get students involved with residency programs early and do research To start getting the letters and CV required of someone wanting to do a competitive specialty it is going to be very very tough in the coming years.

thays my take.

Out of that list I applied to all 3 campuses for PCOM as well as Rowan and CCOM. Hopefully I will hear back from these schools. Thank you for your input.

I have a hunch his school is Western Pomona.
Ive never seen him put Western Pomona on a list of his top schools. The only school he didn't list that he usually lists is DMU.

So here is my thinking, and I would like for you to correct me where I am wrong, please. Because I want to walk you through my thought process with choosing a medical school.

How?: Get certain amount of research publications, community outreach (like a community clinic), get super high scores on the COMLEX and USMLE, have 2 strong leadership roles (through an organization or start a community outreach program), and get good marks in med school.

ACOM: Oh look here, there is a high tech anatomy lab that will really help me with my first year developing my basic science and anatomy knowledge....oh look a nice research room....blah blah blah.

So if I ask ACOM what is their Mean COMLEX score, and lets just say for sake of argument it is in the 85% mark (I am sure I am way off but still just an example). Additionally, I recognize that they have nice facilities...how would I go about putting them at the bottom of the list?

I of course have the same thought process about LUCOM, but also that it would present opportunities for me to succeed as a small school that would have lots of student-faculty interaction and the opportunity to tackle these small research projects without competing for spots with my peers. And I would also have the ability to start community outreach or leadership positions because I wouldn't be fighting for those sorts of positions amongst a sea of other students.

My MAIN goal is to correct my thinking, so to use your thinking and others to guide how I should be thinking about what medical school is best. I did apply to CCOM and PCOM which are supposed to be top tier but I am not sure if I will get an interview to those schools. Right now I have an interview for 5 schools: UIWSOM, LECOM (Bradenton), ACOM, LUCOM, and CUSOM. I am sure I will get more interviews but as the acceptances come in I want to make the best decision, obviously. Thank you for your time :)
General Surgery is completely doable for a DO student - challenging, but doable. You boards will most likely be P/F. Meaning that you're going to want to do well in class, have a good step 2, good marks in surgery rotations, and ultimately, make good connections. You're going to have to get good LORs from people in the field and do away rotations at places that interest you.

This is 100% possible from ACOM. The best school is the school that you get into, and can see yourself being happy at. Happiness will make success easier to come by.

General Surgery is completely doable for a DO student - challenging, but doable. You boards will most likely be P/F. Meaning that you're going to want to do well in class, have a good step 2, good marks in surgery rotations, and ultimately, make good connections. You're going to have to get good LORs from people in the field and do away rotations at places that interest you.

This is 100% possible from ACOM. The best school is the school that you get into, and can see yourself being happy at. Happiness will make success easier to come by.
This was a really refreshing response. Thank you for your great input.