Discipline vs Independance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pix87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a student with some rather unorthodox tendencies (no worries, most people consider me to be completely sane!). I'm a quick study and an independant learner. Often times I'll fall behind in class (time conflicts for whatever reason) and instead of sitting in lectures and mulling around in confusion on the current topic of discussion, I'll go off and grind away in some corner of the library, working to catch up and get a little bit ahead.

Most of the time, I'll come out of this stunt raring to get at midterms and finals, but this tendency tends to irritate the crap out of my professors. I've managed to resolve some of these conflicts, but oftentimes professors I've had have considered it an insult that I would work on my own rather than attend class and have docked me enough points (usually in participation categories) to throw my grade down a notch. As a result my GPA is less than outstanding, almost pathetic given my overall performance.

I was hoping to get some feedback, opinions, different perspectives:
-Should I be focusing more on understanding/retaining material vs following a professors syllabus?
-What are your PERSONAL thoughts about people with this kind of tendency? I want know what YOU think, not what med. school thinks. I'm hoping that you're a reasonable person, in which case your opinion will be more honest/helpful than what you think med. school will think.

I realize that some may consider this a discipline issue. For the record I am not lazy, I do not choose to skip class "just cuz." I do care very much for the quality and results of my work, perhaps to an extent that (in terms of "grade certification") is unreasonable.

My apologies if this question has been beaten to death. If this is the case, please throw out any links you might know of that addresses the question!

Your comments are much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I've done that a few times where I would skip class to study on my own, but for the most part, I usually attend lecture, be it helpful or not. While ultimately performance should be the only thing graded in the end, professors are also human and do not like to feel like the material in their class can be learned without their presence.

Unfortunately, the way of the world requires a little conformity. While I don't think you are lazy from what you are saying, I think you might be a little naive in believing that this would not (or should not) be held against you. My advice: suck it up and suffer through lecture like the rest of us :D

uh i go to a big school and they don't take attendance in 500 people lecture halls...

if your classes have an attendance policy then suck it up and go to class so you don't end up with less than stellar grades. otherwise it's fine to study on your own so long as you do well on exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand what you are going through. I thought 75% of my lectures were pointless and ended up teaching me nothing. For some reason I learn best when I look at lecture notes I get off of the web or learning out of the book. With this method I ended up with about a 3.75 GPA. For the classes that require attendance I would suggest sitting in back and just studying out of a book or looking at lecture notes from another class you need to study.

My senior year i discovered that I was capable of not studying for a class until 2 days before a test and still get an "A". This method of "Cramming" is not suggested by professors but it worked best for me and provided me with lots of time to go out and have fun like all of the business and social science majors while still getting good grades.

Anyway...Hope that helps
PEACE

In med school you'll notice there are two kinds of people. Class goers, and the rest who don't go. Both parties do fine. One style just works better for some than the other.

I would suggest you inquire about the attendance policy at schools though. It's better to goto a school that has attendance optional, IMHO.

If you absolutely have to go to class, just get an iphone and play online (SDN?) during your hour or so of detention. It'll fly right by, you'll get your attendance points, and you can go back to studying on your own right after it's over.

I understand what you are going through. I thought 75% of my lectures were pointless and ended up teaching me nothing. For some reason I learn best when I look at lecture notes I get off of the web or learning out of the book. With this method I ended up with about a 3.75 GPA. For the classes that require attendance I would suggest sitting in back and just studying out of a book or looking at lecture notes from another class you need to study.

My senior year i discovered that I was capable of not studying for a class until 2 days before a test and still get an "A". This method of "Cramming" is not suggested by professors but it worked best for me and provided me with lots of time to go out and have fun like all of the business and social science majors while still getting good grades.

Anyway...Hope that helps
PEACE

:thumbup: Exactly.

GPA > your rapport with any one professor.

If your grades are higher the way you currently study, don't change it. I'm of course sympathetic because I have a similar learning style. Even though I don't have mandatory attendance, I go to most of my classes. Of course I forget everything the minute I walk out of class and start checking my messages, but it's helpful to have that one run through of the material. When exam time comes, yes, I end up teaching myself alot out of the book, and yes, I end up cramming because I don't actually "study" on a regular basis, but I also have my notes from class - it becomes far more clear what you have to know, and what's simply filler, when you look at how much time the professor spends on each topic.

Like the posts above state. Just play ball with your professors weather you believe in it or not. Just do work for another class while they are talking, makes ya look like your very studious.

GPA > your rapport with any one professor.

But be careful not to burn all of your bridges. Remember that med schools typically require 2-3 LORs from faculty who have taught you. Don't piss anyone off who you might want to write you a letter down the road.